What diet has worked best?

Options
2»

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I started by tracking everything I was eating, and then making tweaks to reach a lower calorie average each month. I cut out high calories items I was eating out of convenience rather than enjoyment. I made sure to have food in the house that I liked to eat rather than getting delivery or takeout. I got religious about bringing my food to work and having backup snacks on hand to help resist the call of the convenience store. I paid attention to when I got hungry and tweaked my meal times and sizes to get the most "bang for my buck" calorie-wise. And I've done my best to be patient with myself and be happy with the progress I'm making.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    The one where I weigh all my food on a food scale and meet my calorie goal, which is a deficit from maintenance calories. As a result, I lose weight.

Ditto!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    Eating anything I want, but not everything at once, and not all the time, is a happy and effective way to lose and maintain weight.

Trying to conform to a "diet" only works for weightloss. Any idiot can create a weightloss diet.

This is the key to making it work.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Diets don't work! Eating the right amount of calories for your body, making sure those calories are jam-packed with nutrition, and moving more - that's what works today and for the rest of your life. If you don't see the "diet" as something you can sustain for the next 20 years - take a pass!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    SolotoCEO wrote: »
    Diets don't work! Eating the right amount of calories for your body, making sure those calories are jam-packed with nutrition, and moving more - that's what works today and for the rest of your life. If you don't see the "diet" as something you can sustain for the next 20 years - take a pass!

If diets didn't work none of us would lose weight.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    The green smoothie, acv, raw veggie, juicing, paleo 365 day cleanse has done wonders for me

:)
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    The one where I weigh all my food on a food scale and meet my calorie goal, which is a deficit from maintenance calories. As a result, I lose weight.

This one. Plus moving/exercising a bit more often.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

This one^

Any method of eating that results in you eating fewer calories results in weight loss. All foods in moderation has taught me about MY eating habits.

You can get a "diet" with a long list of do's and don'ts, but that may not teach you about YOUR habits.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    The one where I admit once and for all that I like eating some high-calorie choices and I'll cut back on frequency and dosage, but won't eliminate them entirely.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I've actually never tried a brand diet. I just ate less and moved more. Weighed my food, and documented time spent on not sitting around.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I cannot lie. In the early 2000s I followed Suzanne Somers books and it worked great. It was food combining nonsense and I didn't believe for a second that combining or keeping foods separate somehow made a difference to how many calories were metabolized, but it had a couple of rules that made a huge difference to me. You weren't supposed to combine starchy carbs with fat in the same meal. So you could have cereal, but only with skim milk. You could have toast, but not with butter or peanut butter--all fruit preserves were okay. You could have pasta, but only with fat-free sauces (like a marinara). If you had a steak, for example, you could have all the vegetables you wanted, but no potato or rice in the same meal.