How to get motivated, started and committed?

Any tips, tricks and/or advise to get started would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• rundgrenrocks
    rundgrenrocks Posts: 85 Member
    Just start! Right now, even! Log what you are eating for a few days, without even trying to eat better. In a few days you will be motivated to get all those numbers the way you want them to look in your food diary. Good luck!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    You have to do it yourself. No tips or tricks can help you if you aren't committed.

But there is always this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • s_sand7
    s_sand7 Posts: 4 Member
    Getting the motivation to start is the hardest part! No matter how committed I say I'm going to be!!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Well, my motivation was an obesity-related complication. Please use me as a cautionary tale and let your motivation be to not develop one, rather than to manage one that (barring medical advances) is unlikely to be reversed. So... don't be me?

For the curious, it's chronic venous insufficiency. Aka, the veins in my legs collapsing under my excess bulk. At the same time, my lymphatic system was impacted, leading to lymphedema. So now, I'm in compression stockings for likely the rest of my life. And any time I break the skin on my leg, it's that much more prone to infection and the infection usually needs a couple of courses of oral antibiotics to treat. Which makes me nervous because I don't want to develop a tolerance to those. However the good news is that I haven't had a flare-up in about eight months, I've dropped over 80 lbs, and my blood pressure's gone from 130/90 to 110/80.

So... if you are me, there's hope?
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    I have a trick: motivate YOURSELF by proving doubters wrong. I nearly failed out of high school 1.9 GPA. NO ONE, including myself thought would be good at anything. I started playing poker to earn some money. I did really well and was mostly drawn to the math and logic needed to compete at a higher level so 15 years after nearly failing out of high school I went to college and got degree in applied mathematics. People nearly fall out of their chairs when they hear about my life path. No one motivated me, no one supported me; I did it as a big FU to anyone who doubted me. It feels great! Try it my way so you can poop on all your doubters!