TDEE or fitness pal

Options
2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I cycle a lot so my exercise is very variable day to day, week by week, even season by season.
    MFP method is far better for me on that basis alone but often my burns are so high I have to eat them back on the day.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    it really is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other esp if you are consistent.

However if you are not consistent the TDEE calculation will be off.

If you know you are going to miss at least 2 workouts in 5...use MFP if you know you won't miss those or somehow make up for them use TDEE.

And TDEE is not hard to calculate if you are accurate in your logging etc.

(Total calories consumed +(pounds lost*3500))/number of days (typically 21-28 days)

• meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have been affected by the 1200 cap, I noticed when I played around with the goals changing my activity level. I did this because I had noticed a change in weight loss etc.
    I found this website:
    https://www.caloriesecrets.net/how-many-calories-should-i-burn-a-day-to-lose-weight/#bmr-calculator

But, as others have said, it requires consistency, being realistic about activity level, maybe playing around with the numbers.
    I have been trying this method for a couple weeks and it has helped my weight come off again. On my big exercise days (3hrs+) I aim for a certain calories, on my medium days (1-2hrs) another, and on my lazy days 1200.
    It's a lot of tweaking of calories but with mfp to track the food it's not so bad. Basically I ignore mfp exercise calories by using the numbers spat out by the calculator on that website.
    So far, I need to tweak it further as I'm losing a little too fast and had a carp weight session yesterday because of it, but in general it seems the way to go for the last 10kg for me.