500 cals ?

Am I right in thinking the fast days are now 600 cals insted off 500???

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Does it really matter? Neither 500 or 600 calories is fasting, and you can and should arrange your calorie intake as you see fit.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    My "fast" days are 800 calories. The exact number of calories doesn't matter, what matters for weight loss is that your calories over time add up to a number that is lower than what your body burns. See how you wish to divide your calories and what feels easier.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Maybe she's referring to the IF fasts. Don't they suggest that you eat UP TO 500 calories on fasting days? Not sure of the science behind that. Either a way to make the fast easier or "keep your metabolism up" woo.

If you're worried about the 100 calorie difference, maybe try a program that's going to be a bit easier to sustain.

At the end, look at your weekly calorie goals and deficits. Taking a daily view is too narrow in an IF program where you're skipping days instead of hours.
  • amusedmonkey
    aeloine wrote: »
    Maybe she's referring to the IF fasts. Don't they suggest that you eat UP TO 500 calories on fasting days? Not sure of the science behind that. Either a way to make the fast easier or "keep your metabolism up" woo.

If you're worried about the 100 calorie difference, maybe try a program that's going to be a bit easier to sustain.

At the end, look at your weekly calorie goals and deficits. Taking a daily view is too narrow in an IF program where you're skipping days instead of hours.

This was originally a target picked by the researches testing every other day caloric restriction, 25% of TDEE was picked as a restriction day, so roughly 500-600 calories. It was picked because the researchers felt like it was a good target for a filling single meal and a deficit that would be hard to wipe out completely on ad libitum days.

If calories are accounted for every day, it really doesn't matter what calorie level you pick for a lower calorie "fasting" day.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    aeloine wrote: »

This was originally a target picked by the researches testing every other day caloric restriction, 25% of TDEE was picked as a restriction day, so roughly 500-600 calories. It was picked because the researchers felt like it was a good target for a filling single meal and a deficit that would be hard to wipe out completely on ad libitum days.

If calories are accounted for every day, it really doesn't matter what calorie level you pick for a lower calorie "fasting" day.

^ Kudos for the response.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Am I right in thinking the fast days are now 600 cals insted off 500???

It won't matter all that much - 2 fast days a week is only a 200 calorie variance (500 vs. 600). Do the thing you can be most consistent with.

If you find both 500 + 600 are too low, you could spread the weekly deficit over more days. Example - let's say 600 calories is 1200 calories off your maintenance. 2 days of 600 would have given you a weekly 2400 calorie deficit. If you spread that 2400 over 3 days.....then you eat 1,000 calories 3 days a week.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I think the OP is referring to alternate day calorie restriction (JUDDD) that suggests 500 calories for women on the "down" day, 600 for men, and maintenance calories on the "up" day. The 5:2 plan has similar calorie restrictions, but only 2 times a week instead of every other day.

Yes, but it still doesn't matter.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited September 2017
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I think the OP is referring to alternate day calorie restriction (JUDDD) that suggests 500 calories for women on the "down" day, 600 for men, and maintenance calories on the "up" day. The 5:2 plan has similar calorie restrictions, but only 2 times a week instead of every other day.

I think she is referring to Mosley's 5:2 approach, as he appended an update lately where he relaxed the rules and said the same results can be achieved if you end your eating early the day before a fast to achieve a 24 hour fast, then have 800 calories on fast days. Basically like "Eat Stop Eat" but with a calorie guideline. It doesn't matter either way.

Edit: well, not exactly 24 hours. I was mistaken (had to go back to the article) but having an earlier supper before fast day and a later breakfast on fasting day.