HRM--Eating back exercise calories

Options
I've read that you should eat back a percentage of your exercise calories when using MFP's calorie counter. I am wondering if this is true when using a HRM. I have a HRM with chest strap and I usually eat back 75% of the calories burned. However, since the HRM is the most accurate tool to gauge how many calories I've burned, should I eat back all of those calories?

Replies

• jomitsui
    jomitsui Posts: 4
    Options
    I am on a 1500 calories diet, so I try not to eat back any exercise calories that pass my calories intake. I tends to eat back almost 100% of my exercise calories for the week on weekends when I go out socializing.:smile:
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm trying not to eat back any of mine, but I'm really confused about it! Everyone seems to have a different opinion on the matter.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    By not eating back exercise calories, you are creating too large of a deficit. You don't want to net too few calories. MFP has a deficit built in already, so if you don't exercise, its the same as exercising and eating them back. If you eat 1200 calories, then workout and burn approximately 500 calories, you are only netting 700 calories for the day, which is far too low. Try not to net less than your daily goal. At least eat a percentage of your exercise calories. Hope that makes sense.
  • r_balogh
    r_balogh Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Eat some back it's fuel for your body. I don't know about you but my car doesn't run on e and neither do I. When I dont eat the, back I find I'm lethargic and don't make gains in the gym. I don't eat the, all back but I look at it as my eat whatever snack I want fund. Burn 500 extra calories and enjoy something if you choose but fuel up you need it
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM and I do eat back the calories from steady-state cardio like running or elliptical. I use the Shapesense net calorie calculator to get the final number (it basically subtracts your RMR for the period when you exercise), and eat back the number it gives me. It's been working fine for me so far.

Net calorie calculator: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/net-versus-gross-calorie-burn-conversion-calculator.aspx
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    By not eating back exercise calories, you are creating too large of a deficit. You don't want to net too few calories. MFP has a deficit built in already, so if you don't exercise, its the same as exercising and eating them back. If you eat 1200 calories, then workout and burn approximately 500 calories, you are only netting 700 calories for the day, which is far too low. Try not to net less than your daily goal. At least eat a percentage of your exercise calories. Hope that makes sense.

FINALLY a simple explanation!!!!! I've been pouring over forums and the Internet FOREVER trying to figure this out and find an easy answer that wasn't confusing!! Very well put! THANK YOU! :flowerforyou: