Easy but effective steps to improve stamina fast?

Options
I haven't been exercising for years but after getting into relationships with my new boyfriend I have entered into very active company. Hikes and other activities like every weekend! I'd love it, but I'm really not prepeared! I'm always out of breathe trying to keep up with the group but still lagged somewhere far behind.

Also I'v been invited (and agreed) to run 5k after a month. No way I could manage it in my current level of fitness!

With what easy but efective steps I could improve my stamina fast? I'd prefer something outside the gym.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Get C25K now and you will be ready in 8 weeks.

Stamina is the first to improve when you impress new demands on your body. You should start to see progressive improvement in a few days.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    5K in a month? That's not a good idea. Your muscles, bones, and tendons need to get used to the strain or you risk injury.

8 weeks via C25K is doable, though most aren't actually running 5K at the point of finishing the program, they're running for half an hour at a shorter distance since the program assumes a ten minute mile and new runners just aren't that fast yet.

My advice? Don't do the race unless it's a fun run where you can do run/walk intervals.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can't push a button and get stamina "easy" and "fast". You can make steady improvements with consistent hard work. Progress happens quickly, even with walking, but not usually as "fast" as what people want. Walk 30-45 minutes per day at a brisk pace. Then start C25K, then C210K. Also do strength training.
    As for the 5k, you can walk parts of it. Lots of people do. It's not like you have run "with" your group, everyone goes their own pace.
    As for hiking, there is usually a range of skill levels in a casual hiking group. The faster hikers should wait for the slower people as needed. They shouldn't be making you feel bad about it, especially since they know you haven't been doing this all along.
    Have fun with your adventures!
  • isablain121
    isablain121 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Going from0 to 5K in a month is dangerous. I tried a 5K program last summer. It was an interval training progression over 10 weeks. Still I got knee problems - not fun at all!!! I then went to a sport physiotherapist who corrected my stride and gave me a lot of good advice. That was a very worthy investment of time and money.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Sorry, there is not fast. Gradual progression over time.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Nothing worth doing is easy.

Sorry but everyone is pretty much right. It takes time for your body to adapt. Be it lifting, cardio, weight loss, weight gain, or general fitness there are no quick and easy solutions. If people claim there is be critical and research more.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    This is something that grows naturally over time. Trying to force it dramatically increases your chances of winding up injured.

While having running buddies is generally a good idea, it can lead to bad circumstances when you push beyond your limits. Just be honest with your new BF. If this guy really likes you, and knows the first thing about running, he will be more than happy to allow you to work up to things at a reasonable pace. He might even enjoy the opportunity to act as a mentor.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It takes time to get out of shape and takes time and commitment to get back into shape. Short answer you can't improve your stamina fast bu the sooner you start the better.

Be honest with him and tell him you're not likely to be ready, if he actually cares for you (and is a runner) he will understand and maybe even offer to train with you....
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    My friend used to work in a bike shop. He used to tell people who were buying bikes," You can have strong, light, or cheap. Pick any two"

This is the same. Easy, fast, and effective. Pick any two! I'm going to choose for you, if you want to run this 5K. Take the "easy" part out. Run hills, do interval work and sprints. Spend at least one day a week running a steady pace for distance until you can build up to 5k. In your picture you look pretty young, and I'm assuming you don't have any health or injury barriers. If this is the case, I would say 5K is doable in 4 weeks (not ideal, but doable). Even if you run/walk it, which plenty of people do.

A word from the safety gallery: if you've never run before, get some of your running friends to evaluate your stride. Get good shoes. Pay attention to bad pain. Allow time to recover. Build slowly. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Fitness takes time to build...you really can't improve your stamina "fast"...you can start working now and be better off in a month. Start with a C25K program...you likely won't be ready in a month, but you'll be better off than where you are now.

Just talk to the guy and be honest...your fitness is going to take time to build.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I found doing a combination of full body strength training sessions followed by run/walk interval training, three times a week, built my stamina. I am doing the Strong (Schuler & Cosgrove) workout plan. I could see modifying the interval portion of that training to work toward a 5 K especially if you would permit yourself to do a run/walk 5 K~