IIFYM

Options
Who used this calculator to set their calorie goal? It's off from MFP by like 800. Which is more accurate.

Replies

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Which calculator are you referring to?
  • Ldredding
    Ldredding Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The iifym calculator says that to maintain I should eat 2230 in order to lose fat I should eat 1800(approx)
    The bmr calc on that website says 1530
    MFP says for me to lose 1 lb a week I should eat 1580
    The numbers don't make sense. I'm concerned this is why I've plateaued. Maybe I should stop eating back my exercise calories. I'm so clueless about this. I just wanna lose this last 30 lbs.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    IIFYM calc works for me an many others, just make sure you're entering accurate activity level
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I think with IIFYM calculators are intended to be used WITHOUT adding exercise calories to it, hence why it's higher (it assumes that you will work out at the set number of times per week you provided it and ups your calorie needs to match). MFP will give you a base line to meet, and then you can add in your calories burned if you exercise. This is lower because it doesn't take into account any extra activities.

If you're working out regularly, try sticking to a TDEE calculated number and not tracking your exercise calories. That little bit of extra calories could help you shift the last few pounds.

Anyone else got any ideas?
  • LongIsland27itl
    Options
    Yes BTW the IIFYM calculator already takes into account your activity level because you enter it in, therefore you don't eat back workout calories because they were already factored in, and if you did then your deficit would be ruined.

You can set the IIFYM calc to just do bare TDEE without activity level accounted for, then figure out for yourself what you're burning and eat back, but this is really not needed
  • Ldredding
    Options
    How do I figure my activity level? I have a desk job? I have currently started working out everyday. Walk/running and squats and ab workouts. And I chase around my 2 year old. Would that be considered minimal?
  • LongIsland27itl
    Options
    It's better to undershoot it than overshoot. Yes I would consider a desk job and being a parent minimal. (Assuming you're using the first Miffin St. jeur setting)
    There's another setting called "Enter activity level" which I don't use but have compared it to the other settings, and It puts me within 100 cals so it's pretty accurate (if you're honest, this setting allows you to nip-pick your activity including sleep time).

If you want to be anal about it, do both settings as accurate as you can and then take the average
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You can apply the IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros) method of eating to any calorie amount.
    When MFP calculates your calorie needs, it does so with the necessary deficit built in and intends for you to eat your exercise calories back. Most people choose whatever activity level applies to their typical day before exercise. If you use a TDEE calculator, it is generally meant to include your weekly exercise calories in this number. If you go with the TDEE method, you eat the same calories every day regardless of exercise.
    So whether you eat MFP's 1530 plus exercise calories or the other calculator's flat amount of 1800, you'll probably end up eating similar calorie amounts anyway.

The TDEE method works out well if you have an exercise regimen that you will stick to regularly. If your exercise schedule is more sporadic, the MFP method may work out better. It's really just a matter of preference.
  • Ldredding
    Options
    Thanks so much
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    I IIFYM during bulking, cutting and during contest prep. It keeps you sane.