Mindless eating tips and tricks

Options
Does anyone have advise about how to stop mindless eating?
If had some trouble with this the last few weeks. What works for you and what does not?

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Logging before I eat anything. Only taking a measured portion, never the whole bag.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have advise about how to stop mindless eating?
    If had some trouble with this the last few weeks. What works for you and what does not?

I pre-log but sometimes I just over eat. Not often, but when I do I log it as I go. It's ugly. Ten little Hershey miniatures- 460 calories over and I didn't really even taste any after the first two.

I just keep logging and the next day I move on and get back on track. That's the most important thing.
  • healthydanni
    healthydanni Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Someone on my friends feed suggested intermittent fasting. Has anyone tried it?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Mindless eating is dealt with by eating mindfully. Planning meals and not eating all the time, is eating mindfully. Intermittent fasting is eating to a set schedule and thus not eating all the time. It can be good for you. I'm doing it and it helps me stick to an appropriate amount of calories and healthy food.

But even with the best plan in the world, you'll most likely want to eat outside plan from time to time. Then you just have to be strong. If you can't resist, at least it won't be mindless eating.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Prelog your meals and snacks. If you really get the snack bug, eat something low calorie but high volume; salsa with cucumber slices instead of chips and radishes with bolt house low cal dressings are two that pop into my mind immediately.
  • tdunnegan
    tdunnegan Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Healthy danni; OMG I am having the same problem. The suggestions above are spot on. For me, mindless eating is emotional eating. I so i am telling myself to stop. Just stop
    Go back to what makes you happy -- healthy eating and exercise. Mindless eating just feels bad. Next step is what's most important. Love yourself. Do what feels best for you.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Track. Weigh and measure.

You don't give any specifics but no tv or electronics. Eat at your dining table. No eating out of packages. Weigh or measure your portion, put it in a bowl or on plate, sit at the table. No electronics.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Gum helps me keep my mouth busy.
  • healthydanni
    healthydanni Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Track. Weigh and measure.

You don't give any specifics but no tv or electronics. Eat at your dining table. No eating out of packages. Weigh or measure your portion, put it in a bowl or on plate, sit at the table. No electronics.

So, my husband and I are currently living like college kids (but are in the process of buying our first home) we currently do not own a dinning room table or a dining room haha. I do have a problem with technology while I'm eating but it's very difficult when living in a studio. #readytomove
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    However you handle the space, when eating, don't do anything else.
  • Kramerkid50
    Kramerkid50 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is an on going issue for me. People dont understand that I'm on a food budget not a diet.

Also I just changed phones and had to reregister on MFP. I ended up with a new user name which I actually like better than me at one I had before however I lost all my friends. Feel free to friend
  • MeemawCanDoIt
    MeemawCanDoIt Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Everything tastes terrible after having a zinc lozenge. I also brush my teeth frequently. It doesn't address the bigger issue, but it's a useful bandaid.
  • mktom29
    mktom29 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Writing it down!
    Also, it helps me to ask myself WHY I'm eating something. Is it something that my body is asking for or my feelings/emotions?
  • Nhoff70
    Nhoff70 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! I love making list so this tip will really work for me. Thank you!
  • jenjen3713
    jenjen3713 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What works for me is, I log my food before eating and measure my food. Meal preparations are great as well. Also, I ask myself, "Do I want to eat this because I am hungry or is it because I am bored?" If it was because I was bored I workout or do arts and crafts or anything to entertain myself and forget about eating. Also, I drink a lot of water, it fills you up. Also, if you don't drink enough water your body will give you signals that it needs water but sometimes confuse you into thinking it is hungry not thirsty.

Remember, there will be ups and downs when it comes to losing weigh. If you found that you over ate one day, don't put yourself down. Learn from your mistakes and continue on with your weigh loss journey.