Low Carb Snack Ideas?

Options
I've searched this so many times but all I can find are things like hummus and vegetables or "you don't need snacks on a low carb diet because you won't be hungry" or something you need to cook.

I'm a vegetarian with coeliac disease so my options are more limited.

I also have to eat it standing up or walking between classes/being inside a classroom at college.

Usually I would've eaten things like crisps, rice cakes, fruit/protein bars (nakd). I could wait until my next meal but my stomach growls loudly if I try which is embarrassing in a quiet class.

If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate them! Thank you :)

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs
    Celery with PB
    Nuts
    Cheese
    Natural yoghurt with protein powder mixed in, with nuts and/or berries
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Cutting out so many foods is making things very difficult. Having to eat on the go limits your food choices further.

If you think eating has to be so difficult, just stop. You have to cut out the things your system can't handle. That should be enough. You don't have to be a vegetarian, that is your choice - it's a moral statement which is admirable, but your health is also important. Cutting out meat and wheat should not affect your health, just be inconvenient. But healthy low carb if you don't eat meat or fish, is going to be difficult. A healthy diet does not have to be low carb. You can eat fruit and dairy and starchy foods like rice, oats and potatoes.

Healthy eating isn't even just about a healthy diet. Eating enough, sitting down to eat, and enjoying what you eat without guilt, is having a healthy relationship with food.

If you think you shouldn't enjoy food or eat enough, please seek professional help.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Cutting out so many foods is making things very difficult. Having to eat on the go limits your food choices further.

If you think eating has to be so difficult, just stop. You have to cut out the things your system can't handle. That should be enough. You don't have to be a vegetarian, that is your choice - it's a moral statement which is admirable, but your health is also important. Cutting out meat and wheat should not affect your health, just be inconvenient. But healthy low carb if you don't eat meat or fish, is going to be difficult. A healthy diet does not have to be low carb. You can eat fruit and dairy and starchy foods like rice, oats and potatoes.

Healthy eating isn't even just about a healthy diet. Eating enough, sitting down to eat, and enjoying what you eat without guilt, is having a healthy relationship with food.

If you think you shouldn't enjoy food or eat enough, please seek professional help.

Cutting out wheat should improve the OP's health - OP is a celiac.

Someone else mentioned cheese, nuts, eggs, (sugar free) yogurt, and nut butters. All good options. Veggies with a sour cream or cheese dip is good. Muffins made from coconut or almond flour and stevia, or left overs. I also like coconut oil or cream and protein powder added to a travel mug of coffee or tea.

The Low Carber Daily MFP group has a few good links in their launch pad for vegetarians and vegans.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Stomach growling is not a sign of hunger. It's a sign of peristalsis.

I suggest you get a box of zipper sandwich bags and put a bagged rice cake or two in your school bag to have snacks between classes if you are concerned about suffering fatigue and brain fog from undernourishment. You'll still have peristalsis, and that's a good thing.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Cutting out wheat should improve the OP's health - OP is a celiac.
    Yes it will, it's in fact crucial that she stays away from wheat. I was talking about the essential nutrients non-celiacs can so easily get from wheat, but she won't get from wheat because she can't have wheat - those nutrients can be found elsewhere, with some effort. (But to continue cutting out foods will make that progressively harder.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Like others have said: cheese, nuts, raw veg (I know you know about those, but really a good snack).
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Eat fruit.

You are probably over-sensitive to the noises yr gut makes. Just ignore it.

If anyone else ever gives you the eye because of the rumbling you can just laugh it off. Or tell them they're lucky not to have a life-threatening bowel disorder.
    I speak as someone with 1/2 a gut missing. It's noisy. It's smelly. On the other hand: it is still working. I'm not dead after 2 bowel tumour surgeries. Yay!
  • mktom29
    mktom29 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My new favorite is ham roll ups with cream cheese and pickles. I will make a bunch and eat them throughout the week. I also love apples and peanut butter.
  • Candy0516
    Candy0516 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Cheese
    Salami
    Tuna in a pouch
    Almonds