Do you trust Calories Remaining?

2»

Replies

• Steelheader102
    Steelheader102 Posts: 17 Member
    Well I weighed in today and I lost 2lb from the previous week. I'm still eating under my allowed calories and fitness pal yells at me when I close out a day, but I am satisfied I feel like I'm getting enough to eat and I'm losing 2 pounds a week. I'm going to keep this up and if there are days I eat a little more for like a dinner outing or a celebration then I guess everything averages out over the course of a week or a month and I'll either lose weight or stay the same. Nevertheless, today I'm eating better than I have in the past and all is good.

I started this journey at what I believe was 246. This morning I was 228.

I would still be interested in others experience with the calorie count as well as what different applications say we burned from movement and just daily living as well as exercise. I'm not certain today that I would trust the extra calories it says we can eat. I think if we eat the calories shown on Fitness Pal - at least what the goal is for ourselves, that is the way to go and trust that. As far as eating back any further calories I'm not certain for my situation I trust that part of this app.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Well I weighed in today and I lost 2lb from the previous week. I'm still eating under my allowed calories and fitness pal yells at me when I close out a day, but I am satisfied I feel like I'm getting enough to eat and I'm losing 2 pounds a week. I'm going to keep this up and if there are days I eat a little more for like a dinner outing or a celebration then I guess everything averages out over the course of a week or a month and I'll either lose weight or stay the same. Nevertheless, today I'm eating better than I have in the past and all is good.

I would still be interested in others experience with the calorie count as well as what different applications say we burned from movement and just daily living as well as exercise. I'm not certain today that I would trust the extra calories it says we can eat. I think if we eat the calories shown on Fitness Pal - at least what the goal is for ourselves, that is the way to go and trust that. As far as eating back any further calories I'm not certain for my situation I trust that part of this app.

If you don't want to use MFP as it's designed, use a tdee calculation to get your calorie goal.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

If your goal is two pounds a week and you're losing two pounds a week while not eating back exercise calories, then it's likely that you're either over-estimating what you are burning or under-estimating what you are eating.

That's fine while it works, but when you get closer to goal you may find that you need to reexamine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I trusted it because I knew I was pretty accurate in both my logging and my exercise calorie burns...I did not rely on the database to provide me with calorie burns from exercise...I also vetted my database entries when logging food to ensure reliability...I used a food scale to weigh most things, etc.

It wasn't a matter of trusting the app...what the app spits out is only as good as what you put in...it was a matter of doing what I needed to do and trusting myself.
  • Steelheader102
    Steelheader102 Posts: 17 Member
    I don't think it's a matter of trusting the app (MFP) it's a matter of trusting the apps that feeds the app... Really? Because I walked 7500 steps today I should eat an extra 600 calories? I'm sorry, but I call that a bunk.

I'm putting in exactly what I eat and we weigh everything. Mfp is helping to record and know what I put in my body and I've found many discrepancies in their database.

So I guess the tool itself helps to track, but it's not science and it can't take into account everyone's individually situation and needs.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited September 2017
    I don't think it's a matter of trusting the app (MFP) it's a matter of trusting the apps that feeds the app... Really? Because I walked 7500 steps today I should eat an extra 600 calories? I'm sorry, but I call that a bunk.

I'm putting in exactly what I eat and we weigh everything. Mfp is helping to record and know what I put in my body and I've found many discrepancies in their database.

So I guess the tool itself helps to track, but it's not science and it can't take into account everyone's individually situation and needs.

Well, yeah, fitness trackers can provide faulty estimates. As I said initially, if someone gets poor results from eating back activity calories it is possible that they are over-estimating what they are burning. That doesn't mean that *no* calories should ever be eaten back (because even if you don't burn 600 calories doing an activity, you're surely burning something), it means that we sometimes have to make adjustments based on our individual results.
  • gcibsthom
    gcibsthom Posts: 30,145 Member
    I don't pay attention to remaining calories...only my intake...