Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Giving Up Coffee?

Options
How do you drink your coffee in the AM without blowing all your calories? This is super tough! I love it with cream & sugar. I'm looking for options where I can come in under 100 calories. This is my one splurge.

Replies

• headofdesign
    headofdesign Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Not sure it's a debate really, just looking for some good ideas so I don't sabotage my diet before I even hit lunch!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder, fat, and fiber and call it breakfast:

de4c2b24fdba33c1afc005f30c620678.png

But 2 teaspoons each of sugar and half & half, which is pretty sweet and light, is only 46 calories. How much are you using? Are you using actual heavy cream? That's only 17 calories per teaspoon, so even two of those plus 2 t sugar would still get you under 100 calories.

ea4217716447ce556ce47e9d7f6bd436.png
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Fresh Brewed - Coffee (Black), 66 oz 8
  • nballos77
    nballos77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Try Greek Coffee with little sugar
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    Oh, okay. As long as you don't really think people will debate giving up coffee. :)

Wait, what am I thinking? People on this site will debate anything. For hundreds of pages. Every day, even the same things multiple times a day. :lol:

And the same people.

Right?!!?
  • CamelPuncherello
    CamelPuncherello Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I believe a cup of a coffee like 2-4 calories, then half and half 20 calories a tablespoon. I think maybe adding less creamer would help prevent adding too many calories for you. I drink 2 cups of coffee a day, with a single tablespoon of half-half and stevia if I want it sweetened. All in 44 calories a day come from coffee drinks.

Coffeemate also makes "Natural Bliss" 30 calorie a tablespoon naturally flavored creamers, which are pretty good.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I buy good quality coffee beans and grind them daily and drink my coffee black...occasionally a splash of 1/2 and 1/2 if it's a dark roast...but I prefer a medium roast black...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I drink it black and prefer it that way. Never been an issue for me.

I honestly don't get the sweet coffee thing, IMO coffee is not supposed to be sweet (yes, this is a matter of taste, but it ruins coffee IMO, as does putting a bunch of stuff in it). Putting in some milk I get, although I don't do it, but that's not high cal and even has some protein.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    How is this a debate?

No.

Coffee and 3-4 ounces of 1% milk = 50 calories. I just tried a bunch of stuff, realized some things had to change if I wanted to lose weight, and settled on that.

I do 2 - 12 oz cups of coffee and a Tbl of half and half in each. Total of 46 calories. Occasionally I will add a Tbl of Walden Farms Calorie Free Chocolate Syrup if I want more of a mocha. Adds no additional calories.
  • Svanel
    Svanel Posts: 6,255 Member
    Options
    i use half/half and sugar free syrup. i stay away from the flavored coffee creamers.
  • pigheaded
    pigheaded Posts: 3,083 Member
    Options
    Coffee and two no calorie stevia. No creamer, no butter, no oil. No calories...no problem!
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I used to have full fat milk and sugar in my coffee, but have up sugar gradually over 6 months, just reducing it gradually.
    Some time later I forced myself to drink skimmed milk only for one month :s when I then changed to semi skimmed it tasted lovely to me! I still like skimmed in my cereal though.
    There is always steevia though as suggested previously, I believe there is no bitter aftertaste.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I use stevia and unsweetened cashew milk, or I toss it into a protein shake and just drink all my breakfast together. I'd rather use my calories for ice cream or cheetos.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I used to have full fat milk and sugar in my coffee, but have up sugar gradually over 6 months, just reducing it gradually.
    Some time later I forced myself to drink skimmed milk only for one month :s when I then changed to semi skimmed it tasted lovely to me! I still like skimmed in my cereal though.
    There is always steevia though as suggested previously, I believe there is no bitter aftertaste.

To me, there is no bitter aftertaste but the taste as I am eating or drinking something with stevia is very bitter.