Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Giving Up Coffee?

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    How do you drink your coffee in the AM without blowing all your calories? This is super tough! I love it with cream & sugar. I'm looking for options where I can come in under 100 calories. This is my one splurge.

Use less cream and sugar or switch to lower fat milk and a different lower calorie sweetener. Get used to it.
    Find something else. My dh gave up coffee several years ago and switched to tea. There are lots of flavored teas to try that maybe you wouldn't feel the need to add milk and sugar to.
    I've never been a coffee drinker. I start my day with a glass of water.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I just drink it with half and half and sugar. I don't like the taste of it with heavy cream. 1 tsp of sugar is 15 calories and 1 tbsp of half and half is 20, so that's 35ish calories for a cup of coffee. That's a big cup (in a travel mug) I think you must have a preference for much sweeter coffee than I do. I hate it to be super sweet, it's so gross with too much sugar. I actually weaned myself down to this amount of sugar several years ago. I would reduce the amount of sugar I was putting in my coffee by a half tsp or so once every couple weeks until I got to 1 tsp which is now my preference.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting back on my cream and Splenda. I used to put a quarter cup of Splenda and didn't even measure the no-sugar creamer (I would go through a quart every couple weeks).

Now I put two tablespoons of Splenda and one tablespoon of creamer in there. I don't yet like it without as much Splenda, but I just started that this week. I'll adjust. I'd like to get as close to black as possible, if not actually black.

I don't know if I'll be successful though, I really don't like bitter. And I can't afford really great coffee.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I learned to drink it black. Takes about three weeks.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Use less cream and sugar or none at all.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I started drinking coffee at about 10 and I don't think I could give it up. I learned very early to drink my coffee black (although in basic training I would dump ice cubes in the cup because it was always really hot and I didn't have much time to drink it).

I told my husband once I was going to try to give up coffee and he told me "I hope you and your new husband are very happy together." :D
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I add unsweetned soy milk, it's super creamy. It's 80 calories per cup (not that you'd necessarily use that much in a single cup of coffee), and personally, if it wasn't in my coffee I'd drink it anyway for the protein, etc.. If you want it sweet, you could add sugar or some sort of artificial sweetener.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have always drank my coffee black. Why would anyone drink it any other way?

Because black coffee gives me horrible stomach pain. :(
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Coffee black with Splenda
  • sturgeonml2017
    sturgeonml2017 Posts: 46 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    1 teaspoon splenda (4 calories) 1 tablespoon sugar free creamer (15 calories). I'm surprised by how good sugar free products taste for much less calories. And yes, I measure exactly...lol
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    bwenz3d wrote: »
    My personal feelings, if you have to put that many calories into your coffee to make it drinkable for you, you probably don't like coffee. There are lots of caffeine sources outside of coffee. That is what you actually are getting out of your daily dose.

That's why I'm cutting back on my additives. I want to like coffee not creamer and Splenda. So far so good. It's different, but it's not bad. I'll like it soon, then I'll cut back again until I'm drinking it black. And I want to save money. Creamer isn't super cheap ($3.50 a quart).
  • readgal89
    readgal89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to like cream and sugar in my coffee, but I switched to milk and honey instead for a healthy variation, and eventually after reducing the honey a little at a time I switched again to just milk, and finally now I just drink it black. Hardly any calories, and that rocks because I would rather eat my calories than drink them.
  • Opalprincess99
    Opalprincess99 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I think a iced American with cream from.starbucks is the best :)
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bwenz3d wrote: »
    My personal feelings, if you have to put that many calories into your coffee to make it drinkable for you, you probably don't like coffee. There are lots of caffeine sources outside of coffee. That is what you actually are getting out of your daily dose.

Yup. This. Strong black coffee is the best.
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Learn to drink it black! I did, in January, when I was contemplating doing Whole 30. I was always a cream and sugar person....took me two days to get used to drinking it black and now I can't imagine going back.
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I will never do such a thing. :)
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I will once again cast my vote for Premier Protein vanilla shakes as creamer substitutes. Rich, creamy, sweet, and a fantastic macro split.

IMO, I shouldn't have to "learn" to like something that isn't really needed. There are plenty of other caffeine sources, and in addition, there are ways to make coffee suit my palate as it already is.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I had a follow-up with my general surgeon yesterday to discuss results of some recent tests and he tells me, I have to actually give up coffee. Not make it low calorie, but I have to be rid of caffeine. I have GERD and severe reflux and if I don't want to be dependent on omeprazole (which can make it worse over time!) forever... I have to lose weight, cut out acidic stuff and make dietary changes.

I was hoping this thread was support for fellow complete and total coffee addicts like me. Haha. I would crush the beans and snort them off the back of a toilet tank if I had to.

But today, I'm only having one-ish cup. As opposed to 4+.

But really, stevia and a dollop of half & half or milk makes a tasty cuppa. My hack is to add cinnamon and if I'm feeling froggy, a hint of vanilla extract. I like to taste my coffee and lend other flavors to it, though.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    coffee sucks, tea for the win :)