Sodium?

Options
Is sodium really bad for you? Should I be worried about my sodium intake? Does anyone else here track how much sodium they consume?

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor said something? Do you have any health issues that might benefit? If yes- track it, if not don't worry unless you have problems.

I track it because of health issues.
  • Trex5009
    Trex5009 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Has your doctor said something? Do you have any health issues that might benefit? If yes- track it, if not don't worry unless you have problems.

I track it because of health issues.

No I dont have any health issues. So I shouldn't worry about it?

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You are probably fine. Do not worry about salt. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    unless you have a medical problem, i wouldn't worry. just be aware that high sodium days may cause your weight to go up.
  • kaye4health
    kaye4health Posts: 115 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    According to the American Heart Association, if you do not have health issues, you should not consume more than 2400mgs of sodium a day. If you have other issues... like heart issues etc. then you should not consume more than 1500mgs a day. (this is really hard, due to so much sodium in our foods). Too much sodium can cause high blood pressure, heart issues which could cause strokes or heart attacks. I am one who monitors my sodium daily. You can also ask your Dr what amount of sodium he suggest a healthy person should consume. Also not enough sodium in the body can also be just as detrimental.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    According to the American Heart Association, if you do not have health issues, you should not consume more than 2400mgs of sodium a day. If you have other issues... like heart issues etc. then you should not consume more than 1500mgs a day. (this is really hard, due to so much sodium in our foods). Too much sodium can cause high blood pressure, heart issues which could cause strokes or heart attacks. I am one who monitors my sodium daily. You can also ask your Dr what amount of sodium he suggest a healthy person should consume. Also not enough sodium in the body can also be just as detrimental.

If you have medical issues, ask your doctor. Depending on the issue it can vary a lot from 600-2400. So ask a doctor. I'm at 2000