Exercise makes me sick

Literally. I can walk without problem but the moment I step things up, start jogging or other aerobic exercise I start off well but then I get a cold or flu and I have to stop until I'm better and start from the beginning . This is frustrating cause I would really like to get fit for once and not be set back by illness. I take vitamins and I don't have immune issues otherwise. My diet is mostly healthy and I can find no other reason for this. Please advise. I would love to run a 10 km race someday. I'm a 34 year old female with a bmi of 29.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,047 Member
    That's odd. Are you exercising in a gym where people are germy.
  • Julani34
    Julani34 Posts: 36 Member
    Nope. I run around on the farm dirt roads.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    How many times has this happened? And how long in between? Seems very odd that EVERY time you up your exercise you get a cold. When I run I do get a runny nose, but it stops when I do. Also, if it's just a normal cold then I go running anyway, I have to be really ill (temperature etc, not just a runny nose and a cough) to not exercise. Might be worth a trip to the doctor to get checked out as I've never heard of exercise repeatedly making someone ill.
  • Julani34
    I try at least twice a year to get fit for the last 15 odd years and each time I get a very sore throat and head cold symptoms. I had a coxsackie heart virus as a kid and as a result I have a gammy heart so I am not allowed to exercise while sick, drs orders. I just get so demotivated. And then it is ages before I try again.
  • Julani34
    Okiludy wrote: »
    Could it be allergies? I would tend to think that correlation does not equal causation.
    Okiludy wrote: »
    Could it be allergies? I would tend to think that correlation does not equal causation.

Clever conclusion but except for mild lactose intolerance I have no allergies or asthma or hayfever or anything usually. My sedentary years (when I was pregnant) I had no colds or anything like that.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Julani34 wrote: »
    I try at least twice a year to get fit for the last 15 odd years and each time I get a very sore throat and head cold symptoms. I had a coxsackie heart virus as a kid and as a result I have a gammy heart so I am not allowed to exercise while sick, drs orders. I just get so demotivated. And then it is ages before I try again.

Might be best to go to the doctor before you try again then in case it is something to do with your heart condition. Failing that, walking is excellent exercise. There are a few people on here who have had great success with it. You could even try the Leslie Sansone walking DVD's (which are actually harder than you might think if you are not overly fit) and then you won't even need to go outside....
  • Julani34
    Thanks. Will do.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    try c25k... see how much running causes the symptoms?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    If running outside is the problem and you like to run, invest in a treadmill. Every now and again try outside to see if things change. Keep up your walking.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,469 Member
    edited September 2017
    Julani34 wrote: »
    Nope. I run around on the farm dirt roads.

Allergies?

Exercise induced asthma?

Time for a visit to a Dr?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Sounds like allergies to me. Increased exercise involves breathing in more air so the concentration of allergens is higher. On the bright side, getting fit can improve your body's ability to deal with it.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Sounds like allergies to me. Increased exercise involves breathing in more air so the concentration of allergens is higher. On the bright side, getting fit can improve your body's ability to deal with it.

I also think it might be allergies. I know you said you didn't have any, but you can develop allergies later. I developed mild allergies a few years back to pollen and dust.