Warming up lats before lifts

Options
I've been having some nagging issues with my right lat. It seems I keep pulling it slightly or just getting some stiffness in part of the muscle group. It gets better with rest and not doing as much rowing, started using a Concept 2 for cardio, for a week or so. It is pissing me off and ruining my groove.

I honestly think it's from not warming up my back enough before rowing or lifting and maybe a bit of overuse. The overuse thing I'll work on, but do any of you have some good warm up drills for the mid and upper back? Shoulder dislocates and some band work did wonders on my shoulders once I actually started doing them.

Replies

• singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Have you tried foam rolling? It's gaining a ton of traction in the fitness world. It might help you pre-training, and foam rollers are dirt cheap.
  • steelaxitute2127
    steelaxitute2127 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Have you tried foam rolling? It's gaining a ton of traction in the fitness world. It might help you pre-training, and foam rollers are dirt cheap.

Would you recommend foam rolling for calves too?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

You can use a foam roller for you calves, but it can be a little tricky to get the right pressure when you're having to suspend and balance the rest of your body.

I use a Tiger Tail on my calves...and most of my legs actually...

tt18-h.jpg
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Rowing should be a perfect warmup for it, if it's at a moderate pace.

Try stretching it a few times throughout the day:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=XUdPJuTAPZU

It might be something other than your lats, by the way. :+1:
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options

I recommend it for just about everything! Take some time to learn how to use it properly, though.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @singletrackmtbr I used the roller at gym before and after workout today. Wasn't too bad but it's something I am going to have to learn for sure. Balance becomes an issue for some of the exercises with it. Mainly the leg and side stuff.

@Cherimoose Did that stretch also before and after workout I could definitely feel it in the part of my back that is stiff/sore. I can easily work it in my day a few times.

Today it seemed a bit better during workout but it was a squat/sumo/leg press volume day. I honestly didn't notice it during the sumo pulls and there was a fair bit of volume. After the workout instead of sore it's more just stiff. That is a pretty big improvement. Tomorrow is press/incline/face pulls/chins I might skip the face pulls and chins if it doesn't feel better.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    Shoulder dislocates and some band work did wonders on my shoulders once I actually started doing them.

those, yeah. i also find my lats feel happier if i concentrate on the rest of my upper back more. pulldowns and y's and t's and suchlike, just to make sure my lower traps and rhomboids and such are in the game too and not leaving too much of the work to the lats.

teres muscles are worth checking into, if the stiffness you have is up at that top end of the lat muscle. i must have sprained one of them recently and for a few weeks i just blamed the resulting sensation on that part of my lat.