Cardio

Options
I have been running for my cardio exercise. Looking for something new to do that is less stressful on my knees. Need to give them a break.

Replies

• ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the elliptical? I had to give up jogging on the treadmill, my knees and ankles just can't take it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cycling or swimming are good cross training for running
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    mhwitt74 wrote: »
    I have been running for my cardio exercise. Looking for something new to do that is less stressful on my knees. Need to give them a break.

If running is stressful on your knees, what is it about your running gait that's causing that?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Get a bike.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Cycling would be my suggestion.
    My knees are a mess but cycling doesn't impact them at all.

It's a hobby/sport that is extremely varied from pure training to leisure riding in beautiful countryside to challenging yourself to go further or faster.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Definitely cycling
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cycling...
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    An observation about cycling. The originator mentions a knee problem, it's not clear from that post whether said knee problem would be exacerbated by cycling, or indeed swimming.

Not enough information in the original post for meaningful suggestions.

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    An observation about cycling. The originator mentions a knee problem, it's not clear from that post whether said knee problem would be exacerbated by cycling, or indeed swimming.

I battle knee problems as well (50+, after all). I think cross training with cycling, swimming, elliptical, etc really helps to keep you in shape while sparing the knees. Each type of exercise has its issues, cross training is a way to "spread the wear." I think that's why triathloning is popular among my age group.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited September 2017
    Options

I battle knee problems as well (50+, after all). I think cross training with cycling, swimming, elliptical, etc really helps to keep you in shape while sparing the knees. Each type of exercise has its issues, cross training is a way to "spread the wear." I think that's why triathloning is popular among my age group.

In principle of agree, but the originator highlights knee issues. The most common knee problem in runners is Illiotibial Band Syndrome, a function of a weaker core and hip flexibility. Cycling can exacerbate the problem, being quite subject to core strength issues itself. Breast stroke swimming will also exacerbate it, although crawl is generally fine.

Hence the reason for the caution.

That said, my own cross training tends to be cycling and swimming as well, I'm just conscious that it may not be the most appropriate answer in some circumstances.