How can I avoid late night snacking?

Options
2»

Replies

• wefts
    wefts Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Fiber and lots of fluids will help you feel full and save a few calories for a snack I try to save 100-300 cal for a snack . low cal toast and a chia nut butter spread or a 4 oz serving of ice milk or even green beans with a tsp of butter ( what ever will do it for you ./ make sure you are not cutting your calories too tight I was doing 1100 for weeks but got cranky so I upped it to 1400 that gives me 300 more to play with
  • astral_baby
    astral_baby Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    honestly my advice is a complete back-door approach

figure out WHY you are eating at night, after supper. were your meals not satiating (enough fat & protein in them) throughout the day? was your dinner not satiating? are you eating because you're stressed, bored, anxious, or sad

and don't judge yourself. and don't try to control the snacking. and don't try to stop the snacking. just figure out why, without judging yourself.

overeating is a symptom, not a problem to be fixed. For myself, when I identify the real problem, the symptom gradually resolves.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    honestly my advice is a complete back-door approach

figure out WHY you are eating at night, after supper. were your meals not satiating (enough fat & protein in them) throughout the day? was your dinner not satiating? are you eating because you're stressed, bored, anxious, or sad

and don't judge yourself. and don't try to control the snacking. and don't try to stop the snacking. just figure out why, without judging yourself.

overeating is a symptom, not a problem to be fixed. For myself, when I identify the real problem, the symptom gradually resolves.
    Or it could be just habitual. Lots of people snack at night and to take that away from them completely is a habitual behavior change.
    If one is allotting for all their calories, eating at night is fine. Meal timing is pretty irrelevant for weight gain/loss/maintenance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• blancah71
    blancah71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I can be mindful of my eating during the day but at night when it's time to relax and watch tv I want sugar. Water, cottage cheese and other suggestions just don't cut it. Sometimes an apple with peanut butter or caramel will do it. Sometimes a chocolate protein bar and sometimes I split a candy bar with my husband. If I deprive myself I know I won't stick to any diet so you'll have to find options that work for you in moderation.
  • macclone
    macclone Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Put the kids to bed, take your food into bathroom. Get undressed and then you decide to eat it or flush it.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a late night snack, just plan for it and make sure it is something really really good that you are looking forward to and can enjoy without guilt!