military diet

I'm on day 3 of the military diet an just finished breakfast, so many times have I wanted to quit this diet (yea I know it's only a 3 day diet stop being a baby) I have a huge binge eating problem and stopping my self from snacking takes will power but this diet has an still is showing results an making me count my calories is really helping me n motivated me to stay on track, I've so far lost 6lbs an apparently on this diet u can lose anywhere between 4-10 lbs so I'm satisfied an plan to keep counting calories after this diet to keep the newly shredded pounds off

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member
    6lbs in 3 days is not healthy, and you won't find anyone supportive of such an unhealthy diet around here. Why not just count calories now, and forget the diet?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    why are you doing this? this is one of the stupidest diets out there! you do realize you will gain back all the water weight you lost when you start eating again?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Here's a question for the masses?

How does a diet like this get promoted? As far as I see, those promoting it don't make a buck off it. It's not like most where you have to buy their book/food/supplements. As pointed out above, it's just a bunch of random crap thrown together.

To @brie360fhh Have you paid something to someone to be on this diet?

I don't get it.

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member
    Here's a question for the masses?

How does a diet like this get promoted? As far as I see, those promoting it don't make a buck off it. It's not like most where you have to buy their book/food/supplements. As pointed out above, it's just a bunch of random crap thrown together.

To @brie360fhh Have you paid something to someone to be on this diet?

I don't get it.

I think it's just one of those things that gets passed around like bad advice started by someone who thought he knew better than people who actually went to school and studied nutrition.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    brie360fhh wrote: »
    I'm on day 3 of the military diet an just finished breakfast, so many times have I wanted to quit this diet (yea I know it's only a 3 day diet stop being a baby) I have a huge binge eating problem and stopping my self from snacking takes will power but this diet has an still is showing results an making me count my calories is really helping me n motivated me to stay on track, I've so far lost 6lbs an apparently on this diet u can lose anywhere between 4-10 lbs so I'm satisfied an plan to keep counting calories after this diet to keep the newly shredded pounds off

If you are looking for a diet that is a "diet" just 2 or 3 days a week, look at something that is more sustainable. Weird food combinations have NOTHING to do with weight loss.

Intermittant fasting (or IF) is you dieting 2 or 3 days a week. Pick 3 days (alternate day dieting) only if you've got a ways to go.

With IF you eat very low calorie just 2 days a week, and normally the rest of the time......you still still log food to keep you on track. YOU get to choose the food you eat, foods that taste good to you, foods that are filling to you. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

The Military diet "eliminates" snacks and you feel like this is control. But it's 3 days......it's too short term to have any lasting effect. If you don't want your weight loss to be temporary, you need to learn to control your snacking at some point.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    toxikon wrote: »
    How does a diet like this get promoted? As far as I see, those promoting it don't make a buck off it.

I bet someone originally posted it on the internet as a joke.

I am 100% sure of this. I still maintain it looks like a toddler's eating plan - hot dogs, saltines, ice cream...

OP - how does such restrictive low calorie eating affect your binge eating problem? I would imagine this is exactly the type of thing to set off a binge. You're not being a baby by wanting to quit - you're being a grown reasonable adult who knows they are wasting their time doing something silly. Go with your instinct.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    R1402017 wrote: »
    I did the military diet when I was starting out. Lost 7 pounds and kept it off!! It's frustrating at first but think about it it's only 3 days and then it's all about counting your calories and working out to maintain it. Good luck

Or you could, you know, just start out by setting a reasonable calorie deficit and eating a variety of foods within that calorie goal that provide nutrition, satiety, and enjoyment - and skip the random food combinations and extremely low calorie nonsense altogether...
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    toxikon wrote: »
    How does a diet like this get promoted? As far as I see, those promoting it don't make a buck off it.

I bet someone originally posted it on the internet as a joke.
    This has been around long before the internet. I remember seeing a copy of it in the '70's.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »
    everytime I hear "military diet" my first thought it that it can't be particularly healthy to live on fast food, energy drinks, and alcohol.

My brother is in the military and you just described his diet perfectly.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »
    everytime I hear "military diet" my first thought it that it can't be particularly healthy to live on fast food, energy drinks, and alcohol.

My brother is in the military and you just described his diet perfectly.

yep. part of the reason I'm in the situation I'm in now is that I didn't change my habits when I got out of the military, and piled on weight like nobody's business.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Please stop with this nonsense diet...maybe it's because of these diets that you're binge eating in the first place??? I also went through an eating disorder in the past and I know what it's like to binge and then restrict. Calculate your TDEE then minus 250-500 calories from that number. Eat at a moderate deficit of whole foods that satisfy you, where you eat 80% healthy, 20% whatever you like and you will lose weight permanently. Trust me.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Anyone want a 3500 calorie MRE for lunch?
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Anyone want a 3500 calorie MRE for lunch?

where do you get one of these? because real MREs have 1300-1500 calories.