Double overhand grip gave away during deadlifting

Options

Replies

• misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Tried 200lbs again. Hook grip - 1 rep and I knew it isn't for me lol.

I squeezed the bar like a mofo and this time it didn't even fall to my fingers for any of the 5 reps. So I'm good till 220 I think.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    chalk and mixed grip. why let grip hold back your DL gains?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of different possible solutions in here. Just another perfect example of 'everyone is different'. Have you tried any of the suggested ways in the last five days? Any success?

I am actually toying with the idea of mixed grip. Just, conceptually, don't want to do that (just me being me....no reason other than that). Well, that and the fear of bicep issues (but that is all a question of form, if you ask me....and my form is - from what I hear - pretty dang good).
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Use chalk...I use mixed grip for heavy sets.

Eventually, you can cut back mixed grip: ex. I was using mixed grip at 185 (my 1st heavy set) for a couple of months. Last week, I pulled 185 for 5 with double overhand...switched to mixed on next set at 215.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Use a mixed grip and switch your hand direction every set.
  • misnomer1
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Update: I have been using mixed grip (only right hand supine) for a couple of months for my highest set. have reached 230lbs for sets of 5 without grip giving away.

However, i notice that my right shoulder health is deteriorating because of the supination. Hence, ill have to figure something else.

ie. use hook grip, use straps, use chalk or reduce weight or a combination of any of these.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    misnomer1 wrote: »
    Update: I have been using mixed grip (only right hand supine) for a couple of months for my highest set. have reached 230lbs for sets of 5 without grip giving away.

However, i notice that my right shoulder health is deteriorating because of the supination. Hence, ill have to figure something else.

ie. use hook grip, use straps, use chalk or reduce weight or a combination of any of these.

Switch your hands around every set.

Perhaps you are deadliftng too often.

Once per week is enough and allows time for healing.

• misnomer1
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »

Switch your hands around every set.

Perhaps you are deadliftng too often.

Once per week is enough and allows time for healing.

I deadlift once or twice a week max. I think I will use left hand supine for the next 2-3 weeks, and then start switching every deadlift session (i only do 1 working set of 5 on a given day).

I think I will also add an arm day to make it 4 days of gym a week, and work on forearms and biceps/triceps (because i feel they are lagging behind on SL5x5) directly on that day to help with the grip. Are those hand grippers good to build forearm strength?

• misnomer1
    edited December 2017
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    Hook grip is my favorite although it takes awhile to master it. Mark Rippletoe is against mixed grip, he explains why in one of his YouTube videos.

Yeah i found lots of articles too on why mixed grip could be dangerous for elbow/bicep/shoulder. Didnt give much thought to it, now I do. I tried hook grip for 1 rep once, thumbs didnt like it one bit.

Jordan Feigenbaums 4000 word article on deadlift grip:
    https://startingstrength.com/article/the-grip-problem

His advice in short:
    "Use a double-overhand grip on all your sets for as long as possible. When this grip is no longer reliably secure, try the hook grip and really try to train it. If this is not a viable option for you or your equipment, use an alternate grip to train your deadlift. Make sure you’re using chalk. If you have no aspirations of ever competing, you can use lifting straps in place of the alternate grip."

I guess I will also buy straps.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i was going to say about hook grip that if you want to try it, work up from lighter weights so you can tweak how to arrange it for your own hands, without dumping a whole bunch of weight straight onto your poor unsuspecting thumbs.

but i see that you beat me to it :p dead hangs are good, and if you weigh a lot less than the deadlift weight that you're trying to grip then add weight to the hangs.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

I squeezed the bar like a mofo and this time it didn't even fall to my fingers for any of the 5 reps. So I'm good till 220 I think.

You can't decide on a hook grip after one rep...or even one set. If that was the case, no one would ever use it. It's not comfortable, especially the 1st few times. But once you get used to it, it fine and you'll never wonder how you got along without it.
  • misnomer1
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

You can't decide on a hook grip after one rep...or even one set. If that was the case, no one would ever use it. It's not comfortable, especially the 1st few times. But once you get used to it, it fine and you'll never wonder how you got along without it.

yeah im trying it again next session. I didnt practice hook more because at that time mixed grip was a better option which i had not yet tried. But now that im seeing issues withe the mixed grip, I have no option but to practice hook grip, or straps.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'm coming in from years of rock climbing and keep a ball of "squeeze putty" in my office to help with positive muscle movement. I also incorporate this with isometric hangs & farmer carries to increase grip strength.

I use chalk and keep a chalk ball with me when lifting along with a towel to clean up.

I use mixed when over 400 lbs - a little strange at first, but experiment with various grip styles and see what you prefer.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Agreed. My hands are in pain 24/7 from a progressive joint disease and I thought it wouldn't be for me. Steady progressive build up of practicing made it worth well worth it. It feels very natural now to grab and go.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Since your grip failed- you are working on your grip. Maybe just be content with that and keep pushing your deadlifts to grip (or other) failure.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Are you doing deads to train your grip? If not, don't let your grip strength sabotage your workout. When your grip starts to fail just use straps. I used to have to use them for the last couple of sets on my shrugs with only 275# - by the fourth set I started slipping and alternate grip felt kinda strange for shrugs. After a couple of months I can get through all my sets (I do shrugs almost last) no problem and with heavier weight.

Don't use them if you don't absolutely need them and your grip strength should eventually catch up... unless you aren't doing a lot of other pull exercises that will build that strength.
  • benchismybff
    benchismybff Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    What my coach has directed me to do, and what I love, is hook. I used to go over/under, but felt I was putting unneeded stress on my bicep, and was worried about a tear.

So now, I train hook. I warmup with standard double overhead to get the highest I can (I'm up to about 385x3 with no issues now), then I switch to hook. I've hook gripped over 500lbs so far, but I'm still training it up. It's a million times more secure than over/under, and when I do any more than two reps I just throw on the straps.

You can also look into some Captains of Crush grippers, those things are amazing for grip strength.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Since my gym doesn't allow chalk, I have gone with straps. I love them. But I also try to lift as many as I can without the straps to help with grip strength.