New scale and weight difference.

Options
After my bypass surgery in July, I've been weighing daily. In early August we got new digital scales, and in comparison side by side, the new scale weighed 3 pounds heavier than old one. Old only weighed in 0.5 lb increments; new in 0.1 lb increments. So in my log, should I adjust my initial weight by the 3 lb difference to get my total weight loss?
Adjusting starting weight upwards by 3 lbs means my total loss is 29.1 lbs through this morning.
My starting date is the morning after I got released from the hospital after surgery.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would first get something that has a weight you absolutely know (e.g., a 10 lb dumbbell, 5 lb bag of flour, etc.) and weigh it using the new scale so that you know if it is correct. Assuming it is, I'd start using the new weight at the next weigh-in. I wouldn't go back and change anything but there's no rule against it.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I agree with checking the new scale for accuracy. Also step on and off a few times, make sure it's weighing consistently. With some scales moving your feet half an inch can mean several pounds difference on the display.
    I wouldn't bother adjusting the earlier weights. Just if you get discouraged remember that the old scale wasn't accurate.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    This happened to me, too. I just rolled with the new scale (the difference wasn't really any more than a normal weight fluctuation anyway), and continued the journey.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar situation when we came north after our winter in Florida. On my personal calendar I noted "NY scale" and then my weight. When we return to Florida next week and I have my Florida scale, I'll just note, "Fl scale" on my personal calendar. Regarding MFP, I log the weight that it is.