losing weight at uni/ college?

Options
i have recently started uni and i'm struggling to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I have lost around 30 pounds this year and i want to lose around another 30 to reach my goal weight, but what with all the drinking etc that comes with uni i'm worried about gaining it all back :/
i am also finding the university experience pretty stressful, i've been feeling pretty low to be honest, and my response to these kind of feelings has always been to overeat. there is a lot of unhealthy fast food around on campus and i'm struggling to find the motivation to resist it.
anyone have any similar experiences or advise?
thanks in advance

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You don't have to overindulge at college, be that with alcohol or with food. Instead of eating, try taking a walk or using your college's gym/rec center if it has one. Most colleges/universities are great places for walks (plenty of sidewalks, etc.)
  • iotterbeinbed
    iotterbeinbed Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm in my last year of nursing school, so I feel your pain! I gained 40+ pounds this year, and have recommitted to exercising more and mindful eating.
    Here's a couple things that have helped me in the past:
    - Going for walks in between classes, or before/after. It's a good way to de-stress, get some fresh air, and mentally prepare yourself for studying and homework. It's even better if you can snag a classmate to walk with you!
    - I know alcohol is a big issue in colleges. I set a limit for myself, and don't go overboard. I find that alcohol tends to make me feel worn out and unmotivated the next day. That alone was incentive to not binge drink. I drank heavily about 3 years ago during a bad breakup, and noticed that I was starting to rely on it heavily, so I slowly decreased the amount and found new coping mechanisms. After awhile, you don't really miss the drinking.
    - I'm the kind of person who LOVES snacking while studying. I try not to buy too much junk food, because I WILL eat it if it's readily available. I keep carrots, cherry tomatoes, greek yogurt, apples, and popcorn around to nibble on. They're easy to transport and keep fresh as well, if you have a lunch bag.
    - I've been taking it day by day. I prepare a breakfast and lunch in advance, and remind myself that although the fast food joints are close by and I might be craving tacos or cheeseburgers, I've got nutritious food in my lunch bag that will help carry me through the day. When I do cave in, I don't beat myself up over it. Just move on and be optimistic about the future. :) Habits don't go away overnight.
    - Stress eating can be difficult to deal with. It kinda feels like a never ending cycle. I've talked with a therapist about it, and found that journaling my thoughts and emotions for a couple minutes every night (or during the day when I'm craving unhealthy food) was helpful. I had to change my mindset about eating slowly, over several years. Finding new coping mechanisms also helps.

Now I've gotta listen to my own advice. Best of luck to you! You can do this. :)
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    If you commute to college, leave the credit cards and cash at home. Keep one in the car's glove box wrapped in paper and duct tape for emergencies. If you need gas, take cash with you and put it all into the tank so you do not have change in your wallet.
    Always have snacks with you such as a baggie of almonds, or a fiber one bar. Take water with you.