A gallon of water a day

Options
Starting today I've decided to drink a gallon of water a day for 30 days. Keeping my same eating habits but eliminating any sodas or juices. Has anybody ever did this a seen weight loss results?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    I regularly drink a half gallon...it doesn't cause weight loss, unless it's just keeping you feeling full or you are subbing for a drink with calories.

How big are you? Are you exercising a lot? Do you live somewhere hot? A gallon is a good amount of water, you likely don't need that much.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Drinking a gallon of water daily is not going to have any impact on your weight loss other than the fact that it's zero calorie and you would be cutting calories by not drinking soda or juice unless you replace those calories with something else.

A gallon of water per day may or may not be appropriate for you. It's important to stay hydrated, but over-hydrating can be just as bad.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    If cutting out sodas and juices puts you in a caloric deficit then yes, you will lose weight. It just depends on how many calories you consume otherwise. That said, please do be careful - it is possible to drink TOO much water and that can make you very ill or even kill you. And of course, this isn't really a viable way to maintain any weight you do lose, unless you intend never to drink soda or juice again.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Extra steps from running to the restroom! Bonus exercise! :p

But the calorie reduction from the soda and juices it is replacing will also be a benefit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    A gallon a day might be a bit much unless you're in a hot climate, exercising a lot, or eating a lot of sugar or salt.

If you drink a lot of soda and juice, and cut them out, and don't replace them with anything that has calories, and don't reduce exercising if you are exercising, you should be able to se a loss in 30 days.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    as its been said keeping your eating habits the same is only going to lead to getting the same results. Water has absolutely 0 effect on weight loss if your eating the same calories.

only way water = weight loss is if your swapping out high calorie drinks in for water, and that puts you at a deficit.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I pretty much drink a gallon of water every day (F, 5'4"... ~145 pounds)

I can't say it has aided in weight loss at all, I'm just always thirsty! If I don't get my gallon in I can tell.
  • Kassidi21
    Kassidi21 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Today's actually my first day of trying this as well! I am not good about drinking water and decided to challenge myself to be better! I'm glad someone else is trying this too!
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Drinking a gallon a day would just make me pee all the time. Unless I was outside sweating it out in Death Valley.

Drinking more water instead of calorific drinks can help you lose weight. As long as you are tracking everything you eat. Don't let cutting out sodas and juices mean you think you can eat whatever you like and still lose weight.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Just don't suddenly stop, common method to dehydrate for a fight is over several days, first couple you drink loads of water to get your body to pee heaps then you suddenly reduce the amount of water.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    If youre swapping soda for water then yes you will be cutting out a lot of calories but drinking a gallon of water itself doesn't do a anything for weight loss
  • Nik1473
    Nik1473 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Drink to thirst. There is nothing magical about drowning yourself in water. It's over rated.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Yep, for some reason there's this push for water as some magical health thing. It's been debunked, it's not necessary. But people still think it's something to do.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Were you drinking that volume of fluid before?

If not, why do you think you need a gallon of water a day?
  • Archcurl
    Archcurl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I try to drink more too. But only because I don't get thirsty so I will drink one cup a day if I'm not watching it. Lately I've been drinkning before my meals and this helps me with feeling fuller -> eating less.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Starting today I've decided to drink a gallon of water a day for 30 days. Keeping my same eating habits but eliminating any sodas or juices. Has anybody ever did this a seen weight loss results?

If soda or juice calories amount to a few (to several) hundred calories a day now (and you don't replace those calories with something else) ........then yes, you will see weight loss.

Water and weight loss was been debunked years ago. Drinking too much water can actually be bad for you. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256?pg=1