P90X Questions

Options
I just received my P90X in the mail and plan on starting it after I finish the 30 Day Shred in just about 10 days. I just have a couple of questions regarding it...

1. Are the supplements that they recommend really important? I am a broke college student, and if they really aren't that important (just another way for company to make money) then I'm going to do without them, however if they are very important, then I will find a way to get them.

2. It seems most days there are 2 DVD's that are done. Is it okay to break them up (do 1 in the morning and 1 at night) Reason being, I work right smack in the middle of the day and have classes. Or do they have to be done back to back?

Replies

• machinegun74
    Options
    I didnt use their supplements. I lost 31lbs on the workout just eating right and watching my calories.

I did use a multivitamin,and protein and creatine powders from WalMart and Sams Club.

Theres only one DVD a day unless you do Doubles. The Ab Ripper X is at the end of the cooldown on the same DVDs that match up with the ABX workout. Its about 15 extra minutes and you can skip the cool down and go right into it.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    1. I just bought some whey protein powder, frozen berries, yogurt and milk and made a protein smoothie instead of buying their supplements. Way cheaper and tastes great! Chocolate milk works great too as a recovery drink.

2. The 2 dvds a day is for the lean version. if you do the classic version, it's 1 a day. It's up to you which version you want to do,. If you do the 2 a day, they don't have to be back to back and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND they aren't. I did that once because I missed a day so I doubled up on a weekend and wow, that was too much at once. So 1 in the morning and 1 at night would work great. just depends on when you have time to do them.
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Hey! Good for you, I wish you luck!

1. I can't afford the P90X recovery stuff....so i buy whey gourmet. It tastes ok! I also will be starting a multi-vitamin, I like Jameson because they don't test on animals.
    2. I break up my workouts, do the long one first thing in the morning and ab ripper at night!

hope that helps!
  • brookekedd
    brookekedd Posts: 14
    Options
    I haven't used the supplements. I've just been watching my calories and try to have protein after my workout. I've bought protein from Costco and make shakes with it.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information everyone!!!

I am going through the Nutrition Guide right now. Did anybody else notice all of the typos in the booklet? I've noticed 5 of them in the first 9 pages alone! :) lol.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information everyone!!!

I am going through the Nutrition Guide right now. Did anybody else notice all of the typos in the booklet? I've noticed 5 of them in the first 9 pages alone! :) lol.

Where'd you get your P90X? I'm an English teacher and never noticed the typos in the book but I've heard their are a ton of typos in the bootleg product that's coming from overseas.

With regards to your question...if you're doing Classic P90X and are referring to the days when you do a strength workout and Ab Ripper on the end, you can split them up. That said, Ab Ripper X is only 10 or so minutes, so it really doesn't take that much longer.

Just an FYI (because it took me 4 weeks to realize this!)...the Ab Ripper X workout is included at the end of all the strength training workouts, so you don't have to put a different DVD in to do that portion of the workout. Just finish your cooldown and it'll go right into the ab workout.

Regarding supplements...you don't have to have the supplements from Beachbody, but I've used the results and recovery formula and I will admit that it does help with the soreness on strength training days. I only drank it on those days so my 30 day tub lasted closer to 60 days. I take a multi-vitamin from the store and buy my whey protein at the grocery.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I just received my P90X in the mail and plan on starting it after I finish the 30 Day Shred in just about 10 days. I just have a couple of questions regarding it...

1. Are the supplements that they recommend really important? I am a broke college student, and if they really aren't that important (just another way for company to make money) then I'm going to do without them, however if they are very important, then I will find a way to get them.

2. It seems most days there are 2 DVD's that are done. Is it okay to break them up (do 1 in the morning and 1 at night) Reason being, I work right smack in the middle of the day and have classes. Or do they have to be done back to back?

If you don't use the P90X Results & Recovery Formula from Beachbody then definitely use some sort of recovery drink afterwards. It's important that it be in the proper ratios of 4:1 (carbs to protein). A lot of people recommend chocolate milk as a recovery drink but it's more sugar (refined = processed) and a lot of other crap that your body doesn't need. Even if it's organic. Most of them aren't certified organic. The best recovery drink you could make on your own could be from a fruit juice (NOT from concentrate) and protein powder. Yes there are cheap ones out there, but the thing is that their ingredients are probably cheap as well. READ THE INGREDIENTS LIST! If you have "artificial" this and "partially hydrogentated" that, plus other ingredients that can't be pronounced then just skip it! Beachbody only uses high-quality ingredients, no fillers, nothing chemically processed. That's why their products cost a bit more. So with that said....cheaper isn't always better. And also, the whey protein from Beachbody is VERY good, even if it's just mixed with water.

The workouts are about an hour in length. Everyone else has already stated that the strength & ab workouts are the only two workouts you do together. The Ab Ripper X is immediately following your strength workout on the same DVD. You can split them up and do one in the AM and the other in the PM, but the ab workout is only about 15 min. long so you can go right into it as soon as your strength workout is done, then go back and do the cool down.

Good luck!!
  • chailey70
    chailey70 Posts: 10
    Options
    First, I want to say thank you for all the info. I will put it to use as well. I'm just getting started on the p90X. Second, and only because I can't let it go, in reference to this statement " I'm an English teacher and never noticed the typos in the book but I've heard their are a ton of typos in the bootleg product that's coming from overseas. " The word "their" would be spelled "there". Correct? Not trying to start anything here. I just can't let that slide. lol All in fun here. Again. I really appreciate the info here.
  • gregayle
    gregayle Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    hey p90x'ers. if you're already doing p90x you are or will be a walking advertisement for beachbody. if that's the case, I suggest becoming a beachbody coach. Inspire others to keep pushing play with their workout routine all while earning $$$ on the side. msg me for details. p90x and the coaching opportunity does work hand in hand during your beachbody transformation. It is what really motivates me to push a little harder with each workout!
  • koreansponge
    Options
    I would love to do P90X but its so damn expensive! All those intense workouts are. Im a college student buying books for next semester and when I say I'm flat broke, I'm being completely serious lol. All my money goest toward gas, car payments, stuff for school, etc. I wish they were a little cheaper.
  • gregayle
    Options
    there is money that you can be earned thru beachbody's coaching opportunity. while you do the p90x program, you inspire others with your journey on the program by blogging, or posting it on social media networks. pay off your p90x program and still have enough to pay your way thru college!!! It can happen fo reals!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,710 Member
    Options
    I've done it both ways — with the recovery drink and protein bars, and without. Personally, I can't tell any difference in my results or how I feel. My personal preference is without the supplements. I would rather use those calories for food of my own choosing. Your mileage may vary.
    Like someone else mentioned, on the three days you do Ab Ripper X, it immediately follows the main workout, so I'd recommend just doing them both and getting it all done and out of the way. That said, I don't see any harm in splitting them up if you really don't have the 16 minutes to do ARX.

Happy P90Xing!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    First, I want to say thank you for all the info. I will put it to use as well. I'm just getting started on the p90X. Second, and only because I can't let it go, in reference to this statement " I'm an English teacher and never noticed the typos in the book but I've heard their are a ton of typos in the bootleg product that's coming from overseas. " The word "their" would be spelled "there". Correct? Not trying to start anything here. I just can't let that slide. lol All in fun here. Again. I really appreciate the info here.

English teacher busted for not proofreading...my apologies. It's been one of those days...I also didn't put a comma before the conjunction 'but' which should be there since the sentence in question is compound (actually compound-complex). My fingers are typing faster than my brain today.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I would love to do P90X but its so damn expensive! All those intense workouts are. Im a college student buying books for next semester and when I say I'm flat broke, I'm being completely serious lol. All my money goest toward gas, car payments, stuff for school, etc. I wish they were a little cheaper.

In August QVC home shopping is going to feature P90X on five payments.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Some posts on here are totally unnecessary and are not helpful at all....that's all I'm going to say. :o)
  • gregayle
    Options
    i know i realize it's mine. I feel the same way now. trying to delete but no can do. SORRY!
  • chailey70
    chailey70 Posts: 10
    Options
    [/quote]

English teacher busted for not proofreading...my apologies. It's been one of those days...I also didn't put a comma before the conjunction 'but' which should be there since the sentence in question is compound (actually compound-complex). My fingers are typing faster than my brain today.
    [/quote]

It just shows that we're all human. LOL One of my best friends is an English teacher and she would have busted on me if I didn't say anything. Glad ya took it in good stride. It helps to be able to laugh at ourselves. Lord knows I do all the time! Best wishes on your goals, Chris