What did I do wrong?

I usually enjoy oatmeal (made in the slowcooker) with vanilla protein powder. Made it up this week though and tastes like absolute crap!! (tastes like the strongest/weirdest artificial taste - can't even taste the oats). I used a casein vanilla protein powder and wondering if it has something to do with that? I've used this protein powder before for other stuff (shakes, maybe oatmeal in the past?) but its never tasted like this. The powder itself isn't expired or anything - wondering if it has something to do with the fact it is casein and maybe the artificial sweeteners in it? Are there issues heating up casein vs. whey?? I looked into this online but all I could find was stuff to do with consistency, nothing about the taste. Has anyone experienced this before??

Replies

• MsChewMe
    MsChewMe Posts: 130 Member
    Is this a new brand for you? Have you tried it on its own, mixed with water? Does it smell funny? You could return it and get the whey protein powder instead. I have no experience with oatmeal and protein powder, sorry, just throwing out some thoughts.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    nope, that's what weird is I've been using this exact bin for awhile now...tastes fine in water/shakes...and I thought I had used it in oatmeal before (but maybe not)....I'm forcing it down because I don't want to waste it but will definitely use something else for the next batch of oats!
  • MsChewMe
    MsChewMe Posts: 130 Member
    Yep, sounds like a good plan.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I've had the "tastes like crap" result when I heated up the protein powder while cooking my oatmeal. Instead, I stir it in at the end so it doesn't cook to bitterness.
  • Muscleflex79
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I've had the "tastes like crap" result when I heated up the protein powder while cooking my oatmeal. Instead, I stir it in at the end so it doesn't cook to bitterness.

good idea! I've done it my way in the past and it was ok, but this time obviously not! will give that a try!
  • MeemawCanDoIt
    MeemawCanDoIt Posts: 92 Member
    It's the heat. It should only be warmed.
  • Muscleflex79
    It's the heat. It should only be warmed.

thank you! i see that now - I feel dumb for adding the protein first, but never had a problem before. looking forward to next week's batch being much tastier! thanks again everyone!