Program Advice for my situation (working out from home, conflicting goals)

Options
Hi all,

I have looked through as many threads as possible but am still a little confused what a good plan/program would be for me to do.

I am 34 years old male, work at a desk and have 2 young kids so I normally work out at home during weekdays at night time. I am some what bulky in the shoulders, chest, and legs but do not feel my biceps/triceps are all that big. My biggest concern is that I want to look strong but want to lose the belly fat and be leaner.

I thought the 5/3/1 program looked great but am not sure at this point in my life if I need to put on muscle (except for the arms) and add more calories to my TDEE. I'm also not a huge fan of cardio but will do some if needed...i'd prefer to lift.

Right now what I do is a night of biceps/triceps, and chest/shoulders another night with abs/back and such mixed in on different days. On thing I really wanted to improve on was my efficiency in the workouts (from the 5/3/1 method book). I'm not sure the number of curls I am doing is really helping me in the long run.

Anyway - just hopeful the good people here could point me in a good direction. My main goal is to lose the weight (I feel I need to lose 25 lbs) and am doing better on the diet portion. But I don't want to lose muscle either. I'd like to be lean and look strong if that makes sense.

Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lose 20lbs, then reassess.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight and look lean, that's not conflicting. You'll need to lift to maintain the muscle you do have. Chances are your biceps will look bigger and your shoulders will look stronger as you lose. I've read the best way to maintain muscle during loss are strength based programs, which is what 5/3/1 is, right? It's not a hypertrophy program (a size based program).
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    1. Eat at a slight deficit to lose the 20lbs
    2. Run 5/3/1 if that's what you want/like, but run the core lifts as programmed and alter the accessory lifts to suit your goals (more bicept/shoulder/whatever work if that's your focus).
    3. Be patient, be consistent, see results.
  • adam212121
    adam212121 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I guess the big thing to is I want to do this at home. I will need to invest in a squat/bench rack which is fine along with some additional plates. But I am curious if there is another program that can be done from home to help reach my goals. My guess is no as I need to do those compound lifts but wanted to check.

Thanks,
    Adam
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    adam212121 wrote: »
    Thanks all, I guess the big thing to is I want to do this at home. I will need to invest in a squat/bench rack which is fine along with some additional plates. But I am curious if there is another program that can be done from home to help reach my goals. My guess is no as I need to do those compound lifts but wanted to check.

Thanks,
    Adam

Are you asking for another program to do from home that does NOT require equipment? Or just another option besides 5/3/1 that uses equipment?

This post is a good resource:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I was able to build an full home gym with a power cage (you can easily do bench in a power cage), a bar, plates and an adjustable bench for $900.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HDVZJ9A/ref=cm_sw_r_pi_dp_x_OhjPybBQ8V8DQ
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RNU280/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5G2PND/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to buy some equipment, which it sounds like you are, then most any program can be done at home. You're goals aren't all that crazy/unique, so get/keep your diet in check and follow the lifting program of your choice. Then it's just about patience, consistency, patience, and consistency.

There are lots of programs built around compound lifts, so if you want to do those lifts, there are programs you can choose from. You certainly don't HAVE to do compound lifts, but they are generally viewed as the most effective.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    adam212121 wrote: »

Thanks,
    Adam

Yeah, the compound lifts are the money makers when it comes to building strength and maintaining/building muscle. If you have heavy enough dumbbells you could do it all with those but a barbell is more effective from a budget standpoint once you get so far along.