When to stop weight loss??

Options
I'm 5'4, 113 pounds and I've dropped about 20 pounds from last march. I was on a 1200 cal diet to maximize weight loss back then, although I only ate about 1000 but now I am running about 3 miles every other day and I'm finding that it's hard to stay awake if I don't reach at least 1100 a day. If I increase my calories will I gain weight becuase I've been on a low cal diet so long?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    People often find they do gain a bit of weight when they increase their calories simply because there is more food in their system than there was before. But you're already at the lower end of the BMI scale, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you're eating 1,000 calories a day, that isn't enough (especially if you're running regularly). Your trouble staying awake is your body telling that you it needs more nutritionally.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    You need to up your calories to maintenance cals and do it gradually which will help any so called 'gain'. When we increase calories its normal for gains to show up when we start feeding our bodies more but its not real gain and should settle within a few weeks.

Your body needs fuel for those runs, feed it properly and it will run well :smile: .
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    As you refuel your glycogen stores, yes, you're going to gain weight. It's similar to what you would see in weight gain during a taper week for a marathon or half marathon. So I'd judge the reality of the weight you are going to gain based on how tapers usually go for you. If you don't do tapers/don't do long races, then really the only way is to see what happens.

But it happens, and it's not uncommon, and no, it's not just the weight of food in your system (I see that as a common justification around here). The reality is that for people who have been at a deficit for some time, your stores are likely low, even if you've been eating normal levels -- proportionately, of course -- of carbs. Glycogen/carbs require water, so you're going to get water weight gain when your body starts actually having those around again. That weight and range varies really by individuals. I know for me, when I slip into eating at maintenance, I tend to see a four pound gain.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Are you still trying to lose weight, and what is your goal?

We are the same size. I lose 0.5 lbs/week on 1300cal, and I am sedentary. You should definitely eat a little more, especially since you are running. Try 1300cal + 50-75% of your exercise calories (from running).

You will not gain true weight by eating at this level. You might initially gain "fake" weight, for lack of a better word, as your body fluctuates, larger mass of digesting food in your stomach, water weight, etc.

Use a weight trend app. Happy Scale for iPhone, or Libra for android. This will help "smooth out" these random fluctuations and show you if your overall trend is losing, staying the same, or gaining.