Hurting Hamstring Help!

Options
Hi all- I need some advice on how to recuperate a hamstring sprain/strain/hurty-ness!

Background: I'm a 32 y.o. female, in relatively good shape (I exercise approximately 4-6xs a week, usually a combination of running {5 mile max}, dance classes, elliptical and weights.)

The problem: my left upper hamstring (right where the thigh connects to the butt) is strained! It has been regularly occurring for the past month or so when I exert myself (read: on mile 3 of the 5.)

What I've done so far: stretching, Ibprofuen and muscle rolling.

What am I missing?! I don't think this is so severe that I need to go to a PT/Dr but I'm not comfortable going to a higher intensity with exercising until this feels better!

Thanks- and feel free to add me as a friend!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Rest till it's better.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If a weeks rest doesn't cure it, see a PT
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Stop stretching it. That makes it worse. When you run, run slowly and avoid hills. Work on hip flexibility when it isn't hurting with things like side steps, grapevine steps, stretching the hip flexor. Look up Myrtl routine.

A few years ago I injured my hamstring doing speedwork, which is a common way of doing damage to your hammies. It took about 18 months for the pain to go away completely. I continued to run, since I could usually do it without much pain, as long as I kept the pace easy. I was able to train for a marathon while still injured, but I didn't do any fast running. Any hard running hurt. Eventually I got tired of dealing with it and went to a PT who prescribed various exercises, which did help. The muscles are still tight, but the pain is gone.
  • 2bassets
    2bassets Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I helped mine by using kt tape and icing it. Infact, I found on the internet a tape that was shaped, made just for hamstring strains.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    RICE....(Rest, Ice, Compression & Elevation) if the pain persists you may have a torn hamstring which can take longer to recuperate (probably just a strain from overuse) Once you've healed (I agree with Tavistock, if it takes more than a week see a PT or sports Dr) make sure you incorporate some hip / glute strengthening exercises into your routine. Look after little niggles before they become full blown injuries (something every runner is guilty of at some point.....)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Hurty-ness?

This differs from the above advice, so you'll probably ignore it, but muscles tend to heal best from warmth, frequent, light stretching, and regular movement. Basically anything that improves circulation. If you sit a lot, straighten your legs every few minutes (use a reminder app).

Try stretching the left ham lightly after mile 2. It might be overworking due to a weak left glute. Or you might be overstriding, in which case take shorter strides. See a PT if you want a proper diagnosis. :+1:
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Re: the stretching
    It depends what is wrong.
    I had a hamstring "hurty-ness" a few weeks ago and initially thought I shouldn't be stretching it, but my chiro and massage therapist agreed to stretch it in my situation. It helped. I think she had my leg over my head, I would've never accomplished that intensity of stretch on my own.
    Worth it to me to spend $30 for that when something doesn't feel right.
  • sendtoharvey
    sendtoharvey Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ehhh... you're going to need to rest. basketball occasionally gets me on my right hamstring if I play too many days in a row. at the very least cut down the running. it's a debilitating injury... faster that you rest, the faster you can get back out on the road..
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I started to get the same problem when I was running and mountain biking long distances. What I found that helps me is when I am running is focus on a smaller stride and slower pace on hills and it helped dramatically with the pain and cramping. I also quit stretching all together. I found that when I stretched it actually made it worse and would cramp quicker. So instead of stretching I actually do a small warm up workout to get the blood flowing before I run or bike. I have added hamstring isolation workouts a few times a week to help strengthen them as well. I do hamstring kick backs with and without bands. I also do incline hamstring leg raises. Try some of these out and see if that helps. Best of luck!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    Hot tub and sauna and cold pool, rotate back and forth. a nice fine whiskey or wine will help too. ha.
  • noelr56
    noelr56 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hot tub and sauna and cold pool, rotate back and forth. a nice fine whiskey or wine will help too. ha.

I always appreciate when wine is part of a treatment plan!!