Why hasn't MFP improved?

Options
shaunshaikh
shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
edited September 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I joined MFP in December 2010 or January 2011 to help me lose weight before my wedding. I lost it all, then gained it back and then some when I did my MBA while working, so I've come back to make my way back down.

Back in 2011, I was a big forum junkie like I am now, and what is striking to me is that the threads, questions, and mistakes are the same as 2011.
  • Naturally, there are daily threads debating the latest diet fad
  • There are the threads about people who wonder why they aren't losing weight, and honestly the issues have not changed since 2011
  • Finally, there still appear to be a large amount of people who don't understand appropriate goal setting or how the tool is supposed to be used.

And my question is this -- why hasn't MFP done literally anything to improve the education and outcomes in those areas in the tool itself? Sure, people may get the answers if they lurk in the forums enough, but even then you're surrounded by so much noise and uninformed people it may be hard for the truly educated to shine through.

Here are some low-hanging items I'm SHOCKED have not been addressed in 6-7 years of using this website/app:
  1. Why doesn't MFP help people with realistic goal setting? There is not even a minimal amount of information about how many lbs/wk to use when setting your goal, so many novices default to 1,200 calories or 1,500 calories per day, then consequently burn out.
  2. Why doesn't MFP make it clear that you're supposed to eat back your exercise calories?
  3. Even worse, why does MFP give a false sense of accomplishment if someone severely undereats by telling them they'll lose a ton of weight in 5 weeks, rather than noting that their calorie consumption is below recommended levels and could lead to long term issues if sustained?
  4. Why does MFP still have an awful exercise calories burned database? The numbers are so inflated, either people are eating too much and are not seeing results or they ignore the number entirely and starve themselves. I'll see people claim 600 calories for going grocery shopping, it's absurd.
  5. Why does MFP handle the macro and micro nutrient goals and results so sloppily? For example, if I go over my goal in healthy fats, MFP will show me a red number as if I've violated something. Why doesn't it educate people on which things matter and which don't and when to pay attention to them?
  6. Why doesn't MFP trend weight recordings, like many other third party apps?

My suspicion is that this is about liability. If they are just a dumb counting tool, they can free themselves of any culpability of offering health or medical advice to anybody. I'm disappointed though, I think that this can tool can be more than that. Thanks to the great people of the forums I've learned so much, and it just makes me constantly sad to see how misled people can get. There is SO MUCH BAD INFORMATION out there in the world about health, I'm frustrated that MFP doesn't do more to be a beacon of (science-based) light.

Replies

• shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    On February 4, 2015, MyFitnessPal was purchased and acquired by athletic apparel maker, Under Armour, for $475 million. MyFitnessPal had 80 million users at the time.

On May 4, 2015, MyFitnessPal introduced a premium subscription tier for its applications. According to Mike Lee, the premium service allows subscribers "to make custom reports, to dig deeper into the nutrient density of the food, and to customize the measurements used to plan their meals.
    So they have. And it appears that MFP creators did a little more than make a free app/website out of the goodness of their hearts.