Ideals

Options
One thing that has always hindered me in my weight loss Journeys is the fact that I love carbs I have a hard time finding things to eat that are little to no carbs does anyone have any ideas of foods or meals that I can make that would help me succeed

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy carbohydrates, so I ate them when I was losing weight. You don't have to limit carbohydrates if you don't want to, hitting your calorie goal is what will create weight loss.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to stay away from carbs? Do you know what carbs is?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of carbs and have lost 75#
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat little to no carbs. Overall, losing weight is possible by eating the same foods in smaller quantities. Most foods that we overindulge in tend to be higher in carbs AND fat and you may need to cut back on them significantly but in general you shouldn't feel like carbs are verboten.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I just got done having a snack of 3 Pretzel Rods. I've eaten them 5 days a week for an afternoon work snack for the last 51 days. I've lost 10lbs. No need to cut carbs. You just need to eat less.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    That's a hard question to answer without knowing what foods you like. Eggs, meat, vegetables and cheese can make a lot of tasty dishes. Have you tried doing an internet search for low carb recipes. I'm pretty sure there are a few out there. ;)
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Find a plan that fits you. I don't eliminate or drastically reduce anything. Just moderation.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    One thing that has always hindered me in my weight loss Journeys is the fact that I love carbs I have a hard time finding things to eat that are little to no carbs does anyone have any ideas of foods or meals that I can make that would help me succeed

Why can't you eat carbs?
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Through choice my usual diet was and still is carb heavy, I guess you could say I love carbs. But eating carbs was not the reason for my weight gain, there were many other contributing factors. Due to ill health, I needed to not just lose weight, but to also eat a "healthier, more balanced diet".

Since finding and using MFP as a tool, I have been successful. For health reasons, I can't exercise, so my weight loss has been due to the changes in my diet. I have lost 39lbs and I'm still losing, slowly but steadily. I was borderline severely obese/obese and now I'm borderline overweight, with just 3lb to lose to hit a "healthy" weight/bmi

HOW? By accurate weighing & logging everything (food & drink). Checking nutritional data supplied is correct before using in my food diary. By hitting my calorie target and over time, fine tuning my macro balance as well. For weight loss you just need to eat at a calorie deficit, macro split is less important. For it to work long term, the diet plan needs to fit your lifestyle and food preferences, the easier the better. If a Dr hasn't suggested a lower carb diet for health reasons, then you do not need to follow a low carb meal plan, just to lose weight. I know I would have really struggled. I've lost my weight with a daily carb average, between 55% to 65%. Overtime I've found ways to lower carb and increase fat. But a good ratio for me is about 58% carbs, 22% protein and 20% fats. More importantly it is a way of eating that I will be able to follow long term.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

You don't have to eat low carb to lose weight, you just have to eat in a calorie deficit. I lost weight and have been maintaining eating @ 200g of carbs per day.

If you have a medical reason to do low carb or insist on doing it for some other reason, you should build your meals around proteins and fats and add low carb fruits and veggies like leafy greens and berries. You might also be able to fit in small servings of other carbs depending on how low you're trying to go.

Don't make it more difficult than it needs to be though! Choosing a diet that's hard to stick to is a recipe for disaster.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Some people have medical reasons to avoid carbs. Some people find it easier to create a calorie deficit if they limit carbs. If neither of these apply to you, carb away!

I find it helpful to eat more fruit and less baked goods, which can have about 10 x the calories in examples like peaches vs peach pie.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Low carb is for people who don't like carbs much so that they find it easier to eat at a deficit.
    If you like carbs, low carbs is not a good choice.