calorie question

Options
Hi, I'm curious should I be eating more on days where I do intense cardio then on days i weight train? I burn less doing weights the cardio, Loo king forward to hearing from u

Replies

• idrisatlanta
    idrisatlanta Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I just eat the right things I should regardless of the workout but i just make sure i don't over do it
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    That's exactly how this site is designed to be used - you log you exercise, estimate the calories and they get added to that day's total.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I eat more on strength training days and less on cardio days...it works for me.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I think it depends how you feel ultimately. I tend to calorie cycle and eat more on my weight training days vs cardio days. Also I eat more on the weekends (which really has nothing to do with my training). But it all evens out. I would look at your week.. you can either keep the calories the same each day or shift them around to end up at the same average at the end of the week.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yes, if using MFP as intended you should eat back your exercise calories based on how many you burn. For example if you burn 100 calories one day you'd eat 100 extra calories that day, if the next day you burn 200 then you'd eat an additional 200 that day.

If you calculated your calories some other way (Such as TDEE) where exercise is already included, then you would eat the same every day.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Some people also figure more of a weekly average of calories consumed to calories burned.
  • zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 2 hrs and 15 mins if hit a week, one hr of steady state and 4 hrs of heavy weight training...i was eating 1850 and for the past 4 months I lost my period (I went to the Dr all hormonal levels are fine) she said I was overtraining/ undereating for my workouts. I wore a heart rate monitor around my chest today while i weight trained and I burned 400 calories in 53 mins...during my hit cardio I burn close to 800...so I see I was really undeteating, I don't know how to balance this...can anyone help me figure out how much calories I need to eat a day to lose .5 pound a week? with my exercise included
  • zfitgal
    Options
    can someone help me please :)
  • sardelsa
    Options
    What are your stats again?
  • nikkipoooo
    nikkipoooo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    zfitgal wrote: »
    Hi, I'm curious should I be eating more on days where I do intense cardio then on days i weight train? I burn less doing weights the cardio, Loo king forward to hearing from u

everyone on this app throws around the importance of calories, but have no idea what theyre talking about. eating the right foods (aka real foods) are wildly more important than how many calories (think calories from a bagel vs spinach banana and eggs)

this is because of epigenetics and nutrigenomics which are the studies of how each individual bite of food affects your gene/hormone expression

if youre curious on learning more on epi/nutrigenomics feel free to message me !

cheers :)

Where did you read that each individual bite you eat can cause epigenetic/nutrigenomic activity?
  • zfitgal
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I'm currently 144 lb I work out intense 6 days a week, I am a mom and barely site lol

I weight train 4x a week, 400 cal burn
    and I do cardio 3x a week about 750 cal burn
  • mrsbarnett1012
    mrsbarnett1012 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    can someone help me please :)

Without knowing some additional info on you it may be difficult to help. However, sometimes women can stop having their menstrual cycle when their body fat drops to or below a certain point (I believe this varies some between women). So that may be one reason that your period has stopped recently.

In regards to your calorie question-how are you calculating what your calories should be? Are you using MFP? If so, be sure that your activity is set to active and then if you're logging your calorie burn now try eating back some (maybe start with half) of your exercise calories for a few weeks and seeing if that changes anything.

If you're using TDEE to calculate your calories-have you again chosen the correct activity level (active or very active)? Based on the amount of training you're doing you may want to bump up your activity level (and therfore calories) to see if you can continue to lose at your specified rate of 0.5lb/week and possibly also have the return of your period.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I'm currently 144 lb I work out intense 6 days a week, I am a mom and barely site lol

I weight train 4x a week, 400 cal burn
    and I do cardio 3x a week about 750 cal burn

Height?

Did you enter your stats on MFP or another site? What did it say? Are you trying to lose 0.5lb per week or trying to maintain? If the loss of your period is due to being underweight/leanness, then I would highly recommend you not lose more weight.
  • zfitgal
    Options
    my height is 5"5..i didn't want to lose anymore and then all of a sudden i became very bloated and puffy looking and I was sooooo tired. I decided to take a week off of exercise and diet. I put on a few pounds and just want get back to where I was..i just want to go back not overdoing it and really eating what I'm supposed to fuel my body propperly...

I was very lean, I should have been eating at maintenance but wasn't :(...my calorie burn was alot and I was eating 1850
  • zfitgal
    Options
    I definitely should have been eating more