Virtually calorie free noodles

Options
So I was in a health shop the other day and came across these noodles that have 4 calories per portion, 8 in the bag! So I bought a couple of packs and have to say I was pretty impressed.
I made 'fridge stir fry' which is basically using up any leftover veg, seasoned with chilli, soy and garlic and added the noodles (after they were boiled separately) and I've got to say I was pretty impressed. My whole meal came in at 150cal and I'm stuffed, have enough for leftovers for lunch tomorrow. They are more expensive than regular noodles and would not be a suitable alternative for spaghetti but they are def a carb substitute for Asian meals.

Just thought I'd share for anyone looking to cut down on cals and carbs and nervously asking if anyone has a 'horror revelation' about them before I get carried away...

Replies

• Sashslay
    Sashslay Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    What's the brand? I'll order them by the buckets!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Shirataki noodles? Haven't tried them yet but I keep meaning to. People seem to have mixed reactions to their flavour but I'm curious about them.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    What kind of noodles are they? What are the made of?
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, people either love them or hate them. My mom is in the "hate them" crowd.

I buy high fiber/lower cal Creamette pasta - 13g fiber, 150 cals for the same size portion as "regular." For a stir fry, I'll probably eventually try making veggie noodles to go with it.

Looking for a lentil pasta would be worth doing as well - more protein and fiber, but still great taste.

~Lyssa
  • Anamatronic
    Anamatronic Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes shirataki noodles, they are def a bit more rubbery than usual noodles, and I think rinsing and pre boiling is essential as is lots of seasoning. But apparently a version of them is stocked in most health stores, but may be under a different brand name.

I'd recommend ppl try them and make their own judgements, at 4 calories a portion I think they're pretty amazing.
  • Anamatronic
    Anamatronic Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    What kind of noodles are they? What are the made of?

I did do some research and apparently they are made from the konjac plant found in Asia.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I use them when I don't want to use calories on rice, corn, or peas for a stir fry. Or for that time I was inputting the ingredients for Asian noodles in spicy peanut sauce and watching the calories/serving rise above 800... until I decided to switch out the rice stick noodles for shirataki...
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I tried them once. To save you the details, let's just say they didn't taste any better coming back up.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I think I saw these at walmart in case someone doesn't want to pay health food store prices. Publix might also have them. And I bet you Whole Foods does.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Yes shirataki noodles, they are def a bit more rubbery than usual noodles, and I think rinsing and pre boiling is essential as is lots of seasoning. But apparently a version of them is stocked in most health stores, but may be under a different brand name.

I'd recommend ppl try them and make their own judgements, at 4 calories a portion I think they're pretty amazing.

I think they were on sale for $2 a package at Stop & Shop. I bought two, didn't care for the rubbery texture, and gave the second package away.

I had them in a very seasoned Asian stir fry, and that wasn't enough to make them palatable.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Tried them. I found them utterly disgusting, and that is putting it mildly. About the only more retched product that operates in the diet food space I have come across thus far has been Walden Farms. I am not sure I will ever get the taste of their "ranch" removed from my taste buds. It scared me for life.

Nobody would be happier than me to find low calorie noodles or pasta that don't suck, but for the time being I will just ration my calories for the real deal when I want these items.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Definitely a love or hate thing. I don't mind them in Asian style dishes with plenty of flavour, but as a substitute for pasta, they can die in a fire.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Zucchini or spaghetti squash make yummy noodles, but I'm sure you guys know that. I often just use half and half pasta and zucchini.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Zucchini or spaghetti squash make yummy noodles, but I'm sure you guys know that. I often just use half and half pasta and zucchini.

That's what I do too. Or if I'm using spiral pasta or macaroni rather than spaghetti, I mix it with chopped cauliflower.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Put me in the group of haters. I'd rather take the calorie hit for regular pasta or just eat spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles. Not worth it to me to eat something that tastes nasty just to save some calories.
  • pbandwine
    pbandwine Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I tried those years ago, but the fishy smell turned me off...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I love the tofu variety, but hate the konjac yam ones. I make a pretty mean ramen with them. It's a nice easy protein dish. Rinse them for a few minutes before you do anything with them.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I've tried the shirataki and the tofu and I'm a solid meh.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I couldn't force them down, no matter what I put on them. They're remarkably un food like. Think of eating carpet...
  • velvetsparkle13
    velvetsparkle13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love them! To me it's about what you put on them. Add veggies and soy sauce or other healthy sauce and the noodles are just fluffer. I really want the sauce and veggies but it's a unfufilling meal on their own. It turns the healthiest elements into a full meal. Definitely try it. It's not a simple red sauce noodle deal but a fancy veggie sauce, chicken/fake meats, other veggies addition will make it much better!