Still eating right and exercising but gained it all back!

Options
13»

Replies

• ss4vegeta48
    ss4vegeta48 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    I thought that possible the problem might lie in the balance of fats, carbs, proteins. I always have a low count on proteins and sometimes carbs so I find myself in the morning recalculating my meals so I avoid so much fats. It's so hard for me to get the proteins I need. I have noticed more gluten free items seem to have more fats. Do you suggest I stop focusing so much on those numbers? I do focus on calories but those numbers within my calories.

This is magic metabolism thinking. In theory macro composition can make a difference but in reality it's a very small difference (let's say AT BEST 5% of your total burn is at stake) and you've much more improvement available to you by cutting the amount you eat down a smidge. It's honestly a lot easier to cut 10% of your calories by eating less, even if you already think you're "eating less" (especially if you're not measuring your potatoes).

I think you really need to focus on being accountable for how much you're eating (yes, potatoes and meat too, heck ESPECIALLY POTATOES AND MEAT) before you start grasping at magic metabolism straws.

FWIW, in my opinion the real benefit to tracking macros (if you are not a hard core athelete) is that it helps you learn how to control your satiety. I've learned that 100 calories of protein is way more hanger-controlling than 100 calories of carbs. (In fact 100 calories of pure carbs makes me want to eat more generally, and more sad and resentful to be done eating my meal). So I make sure I get plenty of protein at every meal. But not because eating more protein makes my metabolism roar along like a particularly thirsty F1 car.

Thank you for that. I spend so much time readjusting my meals. once I select something and check my carb, fat, protein intact and it's too much fat and not enough protein I end up deleting and looking for something else to eat. And now with this gluten free issue it's became even more trouble.

And a lot of the time I end up deleting my dinner which messes it all up because my job gets so crazy I end up not having time to eat. I know that's bad skipping a meal but it's kind of out of my control and eating when I get off after midnight is out of the question.

This makes me feel better. I can stop stressing so much over all that and just focus on the calories.
  • thunderchild007
    thunderchild007 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    1. Once again agreeing with what many people have said: eating "right" is not nearly as important as eating LESS. Measure and control your portions, particularly of calorie-dense things like meat, starchy foods, and many condiments (e.g. sour cream, salad dressing, peanut butter). You have no idea of whether you are hitting a calorie surplus or deficit if you are measuring your portions using your eyeballs. Logging is not the same as tracking if you don't measure your portions. You lost weight tracking: great. Many people (including me) have to continue tracking AND DILIGENTLY MEASURING in order to maintain weight loss. It is very normal to like eating more food than you need. It is very easy to trick yourself about portion size if you are not measuring diligently. Some unicorns can pull it off. Don't assume you're one of them. Evidence is pointing to the contrary here. If you're not losing weight -- or you're gaining -- you just DON'T GET TO SAY you know you're hitting a specific calorie target when you're not measuring. If you're really sure your portions are right, you won't mind measuring for a few weeks to confirm the results.

2. Your doctor has ruled out common medical problems via bloodwork, and that's good. FWIW, it's better to listen to doctors than us randos on the internet, IN GENERAL, but you should also be aware that to get a medical degree and a medical license requires next to no knowledge of weight loss or weight control. My doctor was very up front with me about what I should and could rely on him for on this topic: he told me that he only had to take like half a credit course in med school, and he doesn't have any continuing education credits needed on the topic. His point was that doctors are as likely to pass around annecdotal diet nonsense like we are, but the extra danger is the sense of complacency it can give patients about "metabolism" (eyeroll), not to mention some particularly bad advice some doctors give regarding rather dangerous VLC diets they are trained to prescribe for patients who need "emergency" fast weight loss prior to surgery. Get a referral from your doctor to a registered dietitian for meaningful advice.

Bottom line: I see soooooo many people who are desperate to hear a solution to weight control that doesn't require them to be accountable for eating an appropriate amount of food. It's got to be their metabolism or else it's got to be that they're eating the "wrong" foods or that they haven't tried the latest miracle food that will "burn" their fat for them. BS. To control your weight, you just have to be accountable for how much you eat. It may be simple, but it's not easy, and that's why you don't want to do it.

^^this, nothing more, nothing less^^
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    In one of the posts you mentioned peanut butter - definitely weigh your peanut butter rather than going by spoons! A teaspoon is meant to be about 5g - due to its delicious stickiness I could easily grab 30g of peanut butter with a teaspoon. Those things add up.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Here's an example of why weighing your food is important.

peanut-800x533.jpg

i'll have the one on the right please!!!!!!! :laugh:
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Here's an example of why weighing your food is important.

peanut-800x533.jpg

Saving this one for later when someone swears they know what they are eating but don't weigh :lol:
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help.

This is all new to me. I'm just very frustrated with this all. Not many years ago I was grossly underweight 5'5" and 95-100 lbs and this was into my late 20s early 30s. My doctor constantly told me I needed to put weight on but it wasn't like I wasn't trying it's just what it was. For years my doctor suggested birth control which I turned down, reluctantly I gave in after being told the average person gains about 20lbs and that's what I need.

Well one year later and 40! Lbs more my doctor says to me well that can happen. Sorry. And here I am now battling this weight and I find it depressing. I feel like I was removed from my original body and placed in one I do not know. I still exercise but find it harder to maintain the activity levels I use to because I'm carrying 50 lbs more then I use to.

I purchased a scale this morning and will now be weighing my foods.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

That sounds so frustrating, but you definitely can do it! As others have mentioned, think about giving yourself a break with the macros - it sounds like you're spending a lot of mental and emotional energy on it, when really calories are the bottom line. Good luck!