Fiber

Options
rickiimarieee
rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
edited September 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Do any of your take fiber pills or drink a fiber supplement? What all does your daily routine look like? What's your normal breakfast lunch or dinner? How many calories do you take in? Do you take vitamins or supplements?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    20 pounds of waste??

The only fibre supplements i take are psyllium husk powder and the fibre included in my protein bars. I aim for a minimum of 30g a day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    I like to hit my fiber goals through foods, which include flax seeds and chia seeds.

All of our routines and meals are going to be so varied that there's really no point in answering that. I suggest you get some friends with open diaries if you're curious.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    No, you've been TOLD that the average human carries 20lbs of waste. That's a bigger load of crap than you're allegedly carrying around.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    x6wrt6p5qly6.png
    Sorry I was wrong it's anywhere from 5-25!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    I drink Metamucil! I decided to give it a try!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Oh okay I don't know how true this is either.23k0f0scd1d9.png
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    My doctor was telling me about Elvis, but I'm not sure how entirely true that is, but that's a lot either way!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Just because a random doctor put it on the internet and someone copied and pasted into a forum somewhere, that doesn't make it true. It's not. Your body knows how to digest and excrete, if you think you are carrying around 20 lbs of waste you should get to the ER ASAP.

While that is just old scare tactic woo, i believe fiber is important. I try to hit the mfp default fiber goal by eating veggies, whole grains, and fruit. I eat the calories mfp tells me to. If you eat a low fiber diet, a fiber supplement is fine. Log your food for awhile and see how you do!
  • rickiimarieee
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Yeah I wasn't entirely sure how true that was, my doctor said some people come to her and said they have a normal bowel movement which is considered to them about 2 times a week which you should be going 2-3 times a day. I eat a lot of vegetables, not much fruit. I wouldn't hit my goal so I started with Metamucil
  • Alatariel75
    edited September 2017
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My doctor was telling me about Elvis, but I'm not sure how entirely true that is, but that's a lot either way!

If your doctor didn't mention the causes of Elvis's condition, you should get another doctor:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/gruesome/fecalcolon.asp

This account makes it sound like Elvis was a prime example of the hazards of the “goo and glue” diet, but his poor eating habits (greasy, cholesterol-laden foods such as cheeseburgers, french fries, bacon, fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches, ice cream) were far less responsible for the condition of his colon than other factors, such as his congenitally twisted ganglionic fold, his overuse of laxatives, and, primarily, his prolonged drug abuse.

As one of the autopsy doctors described, “When you take downer-type drugs, depressants, narcotics, a lot of them, most of them, have the concomitant effect of slowing down the digestive system. In other words, the locomotive action of the bowel quits working, so it gets packed with food, and then it gets packed with more food. And it sits there distended and full of food, and that causes the colon to stretch.” In other words, it was drugs, not meat, that caused the severely impacted condition of Elvis’ colon.

Yup, this. Elvia also had a laxative dependency - overusing laxatives when you don't need them can cause your colon to become "lazy" (for want of a better word) and not do it's thing without that encouragement. People selling things to make you poop tend to leave this out, for obvious reasons.

Basically - unless you're living like Elvis, you don't need to worry about Elvis's colon and it's comparison to yours. Do you poop regularly? Job done. Rather than look at extreme, medical-interest cases, how about consider how many autopsies DON'T result in "wow they had 20lbs of poop in their colon". Hint:.... most of them.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    No she didn't really tell me the condition or the reason behind Elvis, I didn't ask. Since the rumor was that he died from a drug overdose I just assumed he was constipated from the pills he was taking. She was trying to give me a better way to be regular so she insisted I try Metamucil!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    I kinda figured it was from the drugs he was taking! But I wasn't sure!
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yeah I wasn't entirely sure how true that was, my doctor said some people come to her and said they have a normal bowel movement which is considered to them about 2 times a week which you should be going 2-3 times a day. I eat a lot of vegetables, not much fruit. I wouldn't hit my goal so I started with Metamucil

Make sure you're drinking a lot of water when you increase your fiber intake
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    No she didn't really tell me the condition or the reason behind Elvis, I didn't ask. Since the rumor was that he died from a drug overdose I just assumed he was constipated from the pills he was taking. She was trying to give me a better way to be regular so she insisted I try Metamucil!

If you're having regularity issues, then try the Metamucil, no harm done. But the 20lbs of build up in a normal person is a complete load of build-up.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Also, I don't think 2-3 times per day is necessarily optimal! I've never heard that. Don't feel like there's something wrong with you if you don't go quite that often :smile:
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Thanks ladies! Very helpful! I do have a question it's completely off topic but maybe you ladies have the answer! I'm weighing food on a food scale, with noodles do you weigh them dry or cooked? The box doesn't say which one it is!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    I'm drinking about 4-5 bottles of 16.9 ounces of water!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! Very helpful! I do have a question it's completely off topic but maybe you ladies have the answer! I'm weighing food on a food scale, with noodles do you weigh them dry or cooked? The box doesn't say which one it is!

It's usually dry. It's definitely dry if it's for 56 grams.