Beets

Options
lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
What's a good way to fix fresh beets so they don't taste like canned? I'd like to try making some for variety, but hubby refuses to touch canned beets. He said he would "try" fresh cooked.

Replies

• barbp7
    barbp7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I boil them and make a veggie salad with boiled cauliflower and green beans. I have used mayo but I need to find a healthier dressing. Olive oil with salt and pepper? Ideas?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Fresh (boiled) vs. canned are very similar. Most canned veggies are nasty to me.....but beets hold up really well.

Root veggies are great roasted.....I would roast them.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Chop a raw (yep raw) beetroot into matchstick thin pieces - and mix in yoghurt and 'popped' mustard seeds. Indian based salad recipe and delicious.....

Cooked (boiled) beetroot cold with yoghurt and lots of mint is very good salad too

Add cooked beetroot to corn beef hash... yum

Make beetroot chocolate cake - it's a lot better than it sounds!

I love beetroot.

Sadly no one else in my family does.

(Borsch - beetroot soup - is good too of course...)

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Peel & grate them, mix with shredded red cabbage, toss in olive oil & balsamic vinegar & bake. Yum.

Leave peel on. Wrap in foil and bake until a fork goes through. Slough skin off with paper towel. Slice, eat.

Peel, cut in cubes. Toss with cubes of sweet potato in seasoned olive oil. Roast.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to wear gloves when you prep them, or be prepared for pink hands for the next few days. I cube and roast them at 400 for about 20 mins with EVOO, salt & pepper.
  • 20mightymouse16
    20mightymouse16 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    ever had beet hummus ?
  • shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I slice them thinly and roast with some olive oil spray and salt for beet chips. They get crunchy.
  • bojanadragon
    bojanadragon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When you say fresh, it means you should only peal them, chop them in processor like salad and add lemon juice, olive oil and some garlic. They are more healthy and delicious like this :)
  • bigjonb4116
    bigjonb4116 Posts: 154 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Boiled, sliced, and ground black pepper, delicious!!
    ( they old me used to add rather too much kerrygold butter too!! )
  • Trendline15
    Trendline15 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    with some Italian dressing. Yum!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    When you say fresh, it means you should only peal them, chop them in processor like salad and add lemon juice, olive oil and some garlic. They are more healthy and delicious like this :)

When I said fresh I meant as opposed to canned. Fresh can be cooked or raw, and your description of raw shredded sounds good!
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Chop them up and add to a salad, yum
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I peel them and roast them. Use them as a side or make them into a salad (they are GREAT with goat cheese, arugula, and some kind of nut). One recipe, but there are millions if you want ideas: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018904-marinated-beet-salad-with-whipped-goat-cheese

Try mixing red and golden beets.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I grate them and eat them raw in salads.

Roasted is also yummy - I wrap in foil, with a little water and roast til cooked through. Peel the skin off (wearing gloves). So good with spinach/rocket, with feta or goats cheese and walnuts and a balsamic dressing
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    ever had beet hummus ?

I have not. But that sounds interesting. I think I'll give it a try.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Chop them up and add to a salad, yum

Yeah, I like them best pickled or raw. They are very sweet when raw.
  • 41jerseykeeslar
    Options
    you just don't eat them
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Grated in salads, or roasted. I cut them into thick slices, spray them with evoo and shake a little garam masala on them.

I also make a beet pasta with grated beets, goat cheese and roasted garlic. It comes out alarmingly pink but is delicious.