I Binged Today Due To Serious Anxiety

What can I do to make up for it? I have been doing really well. In the last two weeks I've lost eight pounds. I know this is outrageous, but I probably overate by 1,000 to 1,500 calories today.

Replies

• shootingstar009
    shootingstar009 Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks so much for your encouraging words! I usually walk 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening. I have arthritis in basically every joint. If my body will let me I will do a little more for the rest of this week. Last time I tried walking for an hour, my left hip hurt and I had to call my daughter to come pick me up.

I am a Christian. Usually, I am really good about giving my anxious thoughts/troubles/worries to Jesus. However, for whatever reason, today that was a challenge for me.
  • ree2lose
    ree2lose Posts: 33 Member
    Tomorrow is a new day, no need trying to fix it. Like others have said...log it and move on. And be careful, if your body is asking you to stop then you need to stop! Don't want to do permanent damage. Good luck tomorrow!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,518 Member
    Agree 8 lbs in 2?weeks is very aggressive. You may just not be eating enough. Also agree that 1500 calories is not going to make any real long term difference.

But I would change a couple of things. First, give up the idea that you have to "make up for" mistakes or lapses. You're human. Weight loss is very complex. It's not possible not to make mistakes. Just learn and go back to your plan.
    Second, did you keep tracking? The numbers you put up are a range. Try to put a good faith number on everything and keep tracking. Everyone wants to track the good days. But those mistakes and lapses, its very important to track those too. Good luck.
  • shootingstar009
    Thanks, these were my first two weeks. I had difficulty recording what I ate since most of it was at a potluck baby shower.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Learn and move on. Possibly evaluate what you ate...you might have been hungry due to food choices. One slice of pizza wouldn't fill me up but would take a good portion of my calories...maybe look at food choices if that's it.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Log it and accept it. Do not beat yourself up over it.

If you can, get some therapy or counselling to deal with the anxiety. I was a serial yo-yo dieter for about 17 years, and could never stick to something longer than about 10-12 weeks. Then at the beginning of this year I had counselling for the post-partum anxiety I was experiencing, which during counselling I realised I had actually been experiencing my whole life. When the anxiety would strike, I would buy 3 packets of chocolate biscuits and eat them in one afternoon, I would have secret stashes of candy and chocolate that I would go through when ever I had an anxious moment. I have now been on this journey for 9 months, and still going strong. I have lost around 35lb doing regular exercise and eating fewer calories, and I put a lot of that down to the counselling I had. I have other methods of coping with the few moments of anxiety I have now and no longer reach for the chocolate or sweets like I used to.
  • shootingstar009
    Thanks. I actually see a therapist once a week for cPTSD caused by multiple childhood and adulthood traumas. Therapy has helped me a great deal. However, what has helped me even more is Celebrate Recovery at my church. It is a 12 step program based on the teachings of Jesus. People are real and learn to forgive. Also, it set me free when I admitted my sins to my sponsor and God. I have finally found a place where I belong at Seacoast Grace Church in Cypress, CA. God created us to live in community not to be loners.
  • shootingstar009
    Two people have sent me friend requests. I would like to know more about both of the ladies before making a decision one way or the other. I want to be friends with safe, kind, encouraging people who have no hidden agenda. I used to be an elementary school teacher. I taught mainly third and fifth grades.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,034 Member
    Two people have sent me friend requests. I would like to know more about both of the ladies before making a decision one way or the other. I want to be friends with safe, kind, encouraging people who have no hidden agenda. I used to be an elementary school teacher. I taught mainly third and fifth grades.

If someone hasn't sent me a note with why they friend requested me, I tend to use the forum search function to stalk their forum posts and see what they have posted previously.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Don't "make up for it." Dust yourself off and move on. You're human, forgive yourself. If working out helps with the anxiety, do that, but don't do it to punish yourself or make up for a bad day. Let a bad day be just that....a bad day, not a bad week, a bad month, etc. Good luck and I hope today is much better.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Come up with a plan for what you will do the next time you're stressed and tempted to eat extra.