Expensive stock markets?

Options
misnomer1
misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
anyone else concerned about sky high pricey valuations on global equity markets? if yes, how are you preparing?

Replies

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Diversification, a long-term perspective, investing with a shop with good global research fundamentals, and a commitment to not making paper losses real losses.
  • PWHF
    PWHF Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm stacking robotics and clean energy funds in my pension.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    misnomer1 wrote: »
    anyone else concerned about sky high pricey valuations on global equity markets? if yes, how are you preparing?

Let me guess, you're a first-year grad student; you just got finished reading some Marxian historian, Pete Garrison probably. You're gonna be convinced of that 'till next month when you get to James Lemon. Then you're going to be talking about how the economies of Virginia and Pennsylvania were entrepreneurial and capitalist way back in 1740. That's gonna last until next year; you're gonna be in here regurgitating Gordon Wood, talkin' about, you know, the pre-revolutionary utopia and the capital-forming effects of military mobilization.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    What do you mean "preparing?" Unless you plan on retiring in the next 10 years, in which case most of your assists should be in bonds by now, or you get your income directly from the market, in which case you should have a good fixed Income portfolio that isn't affected by market prices, you don't need to worry as much as you think. Markets always recover within a few years. If there's a significant downturn soon, not unlikely it'll last a while then rally back.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options

I don't think the sock market will increase dramatically in price, other then normal inflation.

• jdlobb
    Options
    Unless you're in a recession, the stock market should almost ALWAYS be at record prices. The global economy is constantly growing, wealth is constantly being created, therefore market valuations should be constantly growing.

The stock market being at "record highs" isn't an indicator of literally anything except that you're not in a recession.
  • cee134
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If you're worried about the sock market, just buy some socks now. If the price of socks goes up for some strange reason, it will probably come back down to normal levels but you'll already have your socks.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I'm not wearing pants.

Obviously, this has nothing to do with the stock market; I just thought you should know.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options

Let me guess, you're a first-year grad student; you just got finished reading some Marxian historian, Pete Garrison probably. You're gonna be convinced of that 'till next month when you get to James Lemon. Then you're going to be talking about how the economies of Virginia and Pennsylvania were entrepreneurial and capitalist way back in 1740. That's gonna last until next year; you're gonna be in here regurgitating Gordon Wood, talkin' about, you know, the pre-revolutionary utopia and the capital-forming effects of military mobilization.

You like apples?
  • misnomer1
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Unless you're in a recession, the stock market should almost ALWAYS be at record prices. The global economy is constantly growing, wealth is constantly being created, therefore market valuations should be constantly growing.

The stock market being at "record highs" isn't an indicator of literally anything except that you're not in a recession.

ever heard of case schiller PE bro? its at 30 for US right now. which it was just before 1928 depression. only other time it was higher was before dot com bubble burst.
  • misnomer1
    Options

No. im an MBA from a top BSchool in India with an IQ of 145 and 7 years of experience. I was a trader who traded FX for an investment bank for 4 years, before i started my own business.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options

No. im an MBA from a top BSchool in India with an IQ of 145 and 7 years of experience. I was a trader who traded FX for an investment bank for 4 years, before i started my own business.

How do you like them apples @SomebodyWakeUpHIcks?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My wife and I take a long term view and the things we're in are pretty long term stable, even in downturns. We're expecting a market correction coming and we're pulling some $$ out to realize some gains and reinvesting it into a new home in an area around us that has historically been highly desirable...
  • jdlobb
    Options

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Thank you for putting a smile on my face this morning
  • misnomer1
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My wife and I take a long term view and the things we're in are pretty long term stable, even in downturns. We're expecting a market correction coming and we're pulling some $$ out to realize some gains and reinvesting it into a new home in an area around us that has historically been highly desirable...

nice
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options

You like apples?

Yeah. Yeah I do.
  • cee134
    Options

Did you start school as a janitor that solved a difficult graduate-level math problem, to be discovered by a Professor, who decides to help you reach your potential. However, did you get in trouble and the Professor had to make a deal to get leniency for you if you got treatment from Robin Williams?
  • misnomer1
    edited September 2017
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    What do you mean "preparing?" Unless you plan on retiring in the next 10 years, in which case most of your assists should be in bonds by now, or you get your income directly from the market, in which case you should have a good fixed Income portfolio that isn't affected by market prices, you don't need to worry as much as you think. Markets always recover within a few years. If there's a significant downturn soon, not unlikely it'll last a while then rally back.

sound advice. except the part where 'markets always recover within a few years'. they normally do, but Japans Nikkei is an exception. Nikkei was at a high of 38000 in 1989, it has never reached back, still at 20300 after 28 years.
    cee134 wrote: »

Did you start school as a janitor that solved a difficult graduate-level math problem, to be discovered by a Professor, who decides to help you reach your potential. However, did you get in trouble and the Professor had to make a deal to get leniency for you if you got treatment from Robin Williams?

lol no.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I'm invested in energy stocks.

when CA was in drought, we invested in water driven stocks.... it was a good position at the time.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    @cee134 wrote: »

Sounds a lot like my story. Before being laid off I worked at a college as a janitor even though I felt like I was smarter than most of the people who went there. Sometimes I would see an equation written on a blackboard like half an equation and... I just figure it out.

Yeah, anyway. My best friend is Ben Affleck.