Anyone doing keto??

Options
13»

Replies

• Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I do Keto, long term, as a life style. My panels, to include HDL/LDL are outstanding. I eat fruit, veggies and starches, like potatoes...but in limited quantities. A CICO diet...which by counting calories, would also limit these items too. Keto also tracks calories...it is not a free for all on meat.

Keto is low carb, moderate protein and higher in fat while still in a calorie deficit. This is a personal dietary choice for each person...like anything, your body and life style may or may not work with it. Personally, I love it! I never feel hungry and I do eat dessert!

Keto is not the same as a low carb diet plan. Keto requires a specific set of Macros (calories/carbs/fat/protein) combination. Use a keto calculator, several on the web, to determine you specific combination.

Also, keto is not NO carbs and NO sugar. Carbs can be between 25 and 50 carbs a day (while still allowing your body to be in keto status), depending on your desired goals. Again, use a calculator.

The first week or so will cause body chemistry adjustments, while you body learns to burn fat stores instead of using carbs for energy. For some people, that can mean sleepy feeling or flu like symptoms. This is called the keto flu, usually helped with supplements like potassium and magnesium. Your first 5-6 pounds are generally water weight, which is why you need supplements. After that, it taps your fat stores.

This is all general information. All of this information can be researched in detail online. Google Keto, Keto Flu and Keto Calculators and Keto Recipes. I also have a heavy travel related job and this works just fine eating all my meals out, for weeks at a time. Education on the topic is key. Google the facts and decide what works for you...opinions are subjective and not everyone lives your life.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    EmmiePoun wrote: »
    My mom has been on the keto diet for the last few months. She has already lost 90lbs! I recently joined it with her. The only thing I have noticed that is bad is she has been having to take supplements because she started to lose hair! But other than that after you get past the first two weeks it is great and I have so far enjoyed it!

This happens when someone is not getting the nutrition they need or are under eating. It is not unique to keto.

She may want to examine how much she is eating and what - she may need better quality whole foods and not as much fat.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    I started KETO and I did it exactly like it said to do it and I gained 8 pounds in 4 days..... yeah I know 4 days is nothing but dang man....

so

I went back to a lean low carb diet and in another 4 days i lost 6 of those 8 pounds... probably water weight but its a win for me....

ok..let me have it....
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    willnorton wrote: »
    I started KETO and I did it exactly like it said to do it and I gained 8 pounds in 4 days..... yeah I know 4 days is nothing but dang man....

so

I went back to a lean low carb diet and in another 4 days i lost 6 of those 8 pounds... probably water weight but its a win for me....

ok..let me have it....

It probably was water weight.

Do what works best for you. If lower carb and higher protein works for you, stay with it. Protein consumption is more important that hitting a fat macro anyways. :)
  • alainacarman8448
    Options
    I been on Keto for two months. So far I am down 24 lbs. Still got a long way to go, but my shrinking waist line is keeping me motivated. Good luck everyone.
  • amlelas68
    amlelas68 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am not on Keto but I am doing a carb cycling plan that actually is keeping more fuller .