I'm stuck!

Options
For the last 2 weeks the scale has not moved. I can look at it as a good thing but I know I have to make a change some how to start dropping weight again. Either up my calories a little or up my exercise. My goal is 10,000 per day and my calories are 1330 to drop 1 pound per week. For 2 weeks I was dropping weight fast and almost lost 10. I think that maybe the problem, how fast I dropped weight and how much. So I may not be eating enough or not moving enough.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The initial weight loss often comes with an additional water weight, and when that is out, you'll lose more consistently, and more in line with your goal. Your weight fluctuates constantly, and when your weekly goal is no more than 1 pound, any weightloss will easily "drown" in the fluctuations.

If you aren't losing weight, you won't lose by upping your calories. Weight up and down is maths, not magic, thankfully.

You may be able to burn some additional calorie through exercise, or you may be more hungry and have no choice but to eat them back.

You may be tracking incorrectly. Use a food scale, weigh everything, log that exact amount, don't leave anytihng out, and use correct entries.
  • takuwinds
    takuwinds Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Right! I need a food scale. I measure my food but I also need to weigh it too. I kind of though I was maybe starving myself a little but it might not be the case. I can walk more than 10,000 steps. I will stay with my plan and I should see a difference soon. Wow, I could have be retaining 8 pounds of water?! That's nuts! wow
  • bluehippo816
    bluehippo816 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am in a very similar situation! It's been just over a month since I started a new exercise and food logging program. The first two weeks I lost 5 pounds and one additional pound during week 3. The last two weeks the scale really hasn't changed. Maybe we can share what works and doesn't work? Or at the very least write about our little victories and inspire each other.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    takuwinds wrote: »
    Right! I need a food scale. I measure my food but I also need to weigh it too.
    You need to weigh everything, not measure anything.
    I kind of though I was maybe starving myself a little but it might not be the case. [...] Wow, I could have be retaining 8 pounds of water?! That's nuts! wow
    That depends on your height and weight. If you have set up MFP to drop 1 pound per week and MFP gave you 1330 calories to eat, and you ate 1330 calories daily, you weren't starving yourself. But yes, 8 pounds of water seems a bit much, so losing 10 pounds in two weeks seems to indicate that your calorie deficit was too aggressive. Do the numbers add up? What is your height and weight? Did you set 1 pound a week as your goal?
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you have stopped losing wright then try putting your new weight I to your profile. I did that and it reduced my calories by 40 a day, for the same goal weight as before.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    If you have stopped losing wright then try putting your new weight I to your profile. I did that and it reduced my calories by 40 a day, for the same goal weight as before.
    Goal weight is not a variable in MFP's calculations, but weight loss rate is. (And obviously weight.)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,480 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above suggestion that you may be set up for too aggressive a deficit. Also, you need to weigh food whenever possible.

Redo the numbers and start over.

And commit to a longer term view You started out right, setting up for a 1 lb loss. You're way ahead of expectations. Now with a 2 week stall, You want to make changes to get moving. I think you may need changes but not because is the last 2 weeks.

Can you live with 1330 cals and 10000 steps long term? As in long enough to make goal and stay there for years long term?

The real problem isn't losing weight, its living your life while you do it.
  • luckywizard
    luckywizard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Have you considered getting a body fat monitor? I found the handheld omron one works well enough to let me know that even when the scale isn't dropping when I've been working in the gym, my body fat levels are. I think they are about $30 on amazon.