Weight lifting routine suggestions?

Options
My goal is actually losing weight and body building. I go to my gym three to four times a week. I usually do 20-30 minutes on the Elliptical followed by 20-30 minutes of weights. On chest days I bench press, do shrugs, pull downs and sometimes barbell presses. On arms days, I do straight bar curls, barbell curls and triceps. I'd like to get more results, including some core work, however I cannot seem to find the right routine. I'm 54, 222 lbs. (down from 235), an ex-smoker (6 years), and love working out. I had an umbilical hernia a few years back which, combined with my overweight gut, make core exercises very uncomfortable though. Any ideas?

Replies

• mlh6468
    mlh6468 Posts: 47 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Actually, most of those seem to be just like what I've been surfing thru online. I was hoping for someone to have a basic routine that they know that has worked and just list it. I don't want to buy books and programs and stuff, just looking for a simple 'hey, here's what I do' kind of response. But thank you very much for taking the time to respond, I really do appreciate it.
  • mlh6468
    mlh6468 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The 'Big Six' one does look pretty good though, lol. Thanks again.
  • samantharmaggard
    samantharmaggard Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    mlh6468 wrote: »
    My goal is actually losing weight and body building. I go to my gym three to four times a week. I usually do 20-30 minutes on the Elliptical followed by 20-30 minutes of weights. On chest days I bench press, do shrugs, pull downs and sometimes barbell presses. On arms days, I do straight bar curls, barbell curls and triceps. I'd like to get more results, including some core work, however I cannot seem to find the right routine. I'm 54, 222 lbs. (down from 235), an ex-smoker (6 years), and love working out. I had an umbilical hernia a few years back which, combined with my overweight gut, make core exercises very uncomfortable though. Any ideas?

• samantharmaggard
    Options
    Look up 8 week body transformation day 1, day 2 and on google images and follow the program. I am on week 7 and it's done wonders.

I do 30 minutes of HIIT cardio by Millionaire Hoy on YouTube and an hour of heavy lifting doing the 8 week.

After the 8 weeks are up I am going to try a 7 week program I found. I want to build some muscle endurance and it's always good to change it up.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/hiit-6-week-full-body-workout/amp

• samantharmaggard
    Options
    I posted above and just wanted to say that you can adjust per your ability/health. Instead of doing 4 sets do 3. Do the Millionaire Hoy low impact HIIT if your not able to go full out.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Actually, most of those seem to be just like what I've been surfing thru online. I was hoping for someone to have a basic routine that they know that has worked and just list it. I don't want to buy books and programs and stuff, just looking for a simple 'hey, here's what I do' kind of response. But thank you very much for taking the time to respond, I really do appreciate it.

Every single one of those programs work. It's why they are on the list. The program that is going to work for you, is not something we can tell you because you will need a program that supports your goals, one that fits into your timescale, and one that you can do based on equipment.

But the three most basic routines are:
    1. https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/
    2. StrongLift
    3. Starting Strength
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

The list is curated by @PsuLemon and if you read through the thread, many are suggestions from MFP members who have used the programs themselves. A lot of MFP people like SL 5x5 and Starting Strength, and Starting Strength has a TON a free resources online, including videos on proper form, etc. I honestly found the SS book at a used book store for a couple bucks and I am glad I bought it to help me with my form, but there is so much online that you don't HAVE to. StrongLifts has an app that might be helpful to track progress (I think it costs a few bucks) but also, not necessary to run the program.

I am not a bodybuilder, but I used the aworkoutroutine @Psulemon listed and I loved how simple and straightforward it was using the equipment I had available (dumbbells), with a focus on the main compound lifts. That website has also has a lot of really great articles and information, I would encourage you to read through some when you get the chance.

I moved on to another program recently (Greyskull LP) and I am doing a variant based on the books, but there are free resources on Reddit, including the most popular variant (Pharuk's). It does essentially require fractional plates- just FYI if any cost is a deterrent and your gym doesn't have any.
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I started using StrongLifts 5x5 app in August and I love it. I am not a newbie to weights in general, but I am new to barbell workouts. This app can really work no matter your capability when you start. You have 5 different moves that the app pre-sets as alternating over 3 days a week (squat, overhead press, deadlift, row and bench press). You can add custom additional workout moves if you have something you love and want to add to your session (triceps, kick backs, lat pull down, etc.) It also manages your increases in weight, and if you fail to complete your sets on the same wight over three different days' attempts it adjusts the weight down. The basic version is free, unlocked is a one time cost of $10 - both versions have videos showing proper form and more in depth explanation of the moves and resource information for even the beginner.