Not eating enough?

Options
2»

Replies

• Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am not convinced you need to eat more. There is no such thing as starvation mode. 900-1200 calories is plenty for a sedate 46 year old. I am a 5'11" male and only eat 1200-1400 per day.

This gentlemen only ate 800 calories per day for an entire year.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1060456-198-lbs-lost-in-a-little-over-a-year-d

This is terrible advice, do not listen to this. A 5'11" male should be eating 50% more than that, easily. Using examples of people doing starvation diets does not make it all right.

This!! I am 6 ft. Male and am maintaining at 4000 calories a day.... I never ate less than 2500 (3000 most of the time) I lost over 300 lbs. Your body has no choice but to adjust to such a low caloric intake doesn't mean it (your body) likes it... There is a good chance you are burning up just as much lean body mass as your are fat....

I think I'd be listening to the guy who has lost over 300lbs!!!
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I am not convinced you need to eat more. There is no such thing as starvation mode. 900-1200 calories is plenty for a sedate 46 year old. I am a 5'11" male and only eat 1200-1400 per day.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1060456-198-lbs-lost-in-a-little-over-a-year-d

This is terrible advice, do not listen to this. A 5'11" male should be eating 50% more than that, easily. Using examples of people doing starvation diets does not make it all right.

This!! I am 6 ft. Male and am maintaining at 4000 calories a day.... I never ate less than 2500 (3000 most of the time) I lost over 300 lbs. Your body has no choice but to adjust to such a low caloric intake doesn't mean it (your body) likes it... There is a good chance you are burning up just as much lean body mass as your are fat....

He is a beast who is in the gym lifting very heavy things. (check out his pics wouldn't want none of that in a dark alley) She is 46 and not working out. They have very different daily caloric needs.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

He is a beast who is in the gym lifting very heavy things. (check out his pics wouldn't want none of that in a dark alley) She is 46 and not working out. They have very different daily caloric needs.

Ah see that is always a bad idea to assume!! I do not lift heavy (at all) I have grade 3 osteoarthritis both knee, no cartilage both knee's, no meniscus left in either knee, and a torn ACL in my left knee (all do to my weight) I have a pinched nerve in my neck and no feeling in my index finger or thumb on my right hand, and chronic lower back problems from delivering beer for 12 years in my 20-to early 30's. I do lift (light weights with high reps) but my exercise is primarily cardio in nature (swimming laps, seated elliptical,walking,etc) I couldn't even walk 4 years ago at 560 lbs. so my therapist used water displacement to allow me to stand in a therapy pool so that I could walk from one side of the pool to the other. I did this the first 17 months and lost 170 lbs. before being fitted for custom knee braces so that I could start exercising outside of the pool and eating at a caloric intake that aloud me to loose weight while maintaining my lean body mass... I had a BMI of 74 when I started and what you are seeing in those pictures has more to do with uncovering (loosing fat) what muscle I maintained and far less to do with any muscle gained from lifting because I have never been in a calorie surplus long enough to build any muscle... I eat to fuel my body, food get such a bad rap around these forums at times... eating under 1000 calories for anyone over an extended period of time will eventually catch up with you... oh and I am no spring chicken either at 43....
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

What if the 1200 calories is made up of boneless skinless chicken breast and fresh vegetables over the course of a day. That is a lot of food and plenty of nutrients. I don't feel like I am starving.

Doesn't change anything. 1200 calories of anything is not a lot of food and is definitely lacking in nutrients for a 5'11" male. I would seriously reconsider what you're doing. Granted, you seem to want to lose muscle mass so I guess you're choosing the right path for that. I just don't understand why you'd want to do that. Less muscle mass == lower daily caloric expenditure, lower strength, poorer aesthetics...all negatives. No positives to losing muscle mass.
  • eazy_
    Options

Ah see that is always a bad idea to assume!! I do not lift heavy (at all) I have grade 3 osteoarthritis both knee, no cartilage both knee's, no meniscus left in either knee, and a torn ACL in my left knee (all do to my weight) I have a pinched nerve in my neck and no feeling in my index finger or thumb on my right hand, and chronic lower back problems from delivering beer for 12 years in my 20-to early 30's. I do lift (light weights with high reps) but my exercise is primarily cardio in nature (swimming laps, seated elliptical,walking,etc) I couldn't even walk 4 years ago at 560 lbs. so my therapist used water displacement to allow me to stand in a therapy pool so that I could walk from one side of the pool to the other. I did this the first 17 months and lost 170 lbs. before being fitted for custom knee braces so that I could start exercising outside of the pool and eating at a caloric intake that aloud me to loose weight while maintaining my lean body mass... I had a BMI of 74 when I started and what you are seeing in those pictures has more to do with uncovering (loosing fat) what muscle I maintained and far less to do with any muscle gained from lifting because I have never been in a calorie surplus long enough to build any muscle... I eat to fuel my body, food get such a bad rap around these forums at times... eating under 1000 calories for anyone over an extended period of time will eventually catch up with you... oh and I am no spring chicken either at 43....

You got me there I jumped to conclusions based on your pictures.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I eat 1400 calories per day. If I only eat healthy foods I would be full long before I got to 1200 so I eat fat not a lot but just enough to get that 25/35 percent that we should be eating every day. I have lost 59 lbs. since September but 71 in total.
  • eazy_
    Options

What if the 1200 calories is made up of boneless skinless chicken breast and fresh vegetables over the course of a day. That is a lot of food and plenty of nutrients. I don't feel like I am starving.

Doesn't change anything. 1200 calories of anything is not a lot of food and is definitely lacking in nutrients for a 5'11" male. I would seriously reconsider what you're doing. Granted, you seem to want to lose muscle mass so I guess you're choosing the right path for that. I just don't understand why you'd want to do that. Less muscle mass == lower daily caloric expenditure, lower strength, poorer aesthetics...all negatives. No positives to losing muscle mass.

I read this and thought I had a solid plan. What is your opinion?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/training-the-obese-beginner-part-2.html
  • lluckenbaugh
    lluckenbaugh Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow, tons of answers. Some I like and some I don't LOL. I don't eat lunch, cause A. I don't get up til after lunch B. I'm not hungry after the shake and banana and eat in the evening when I am hungry. C. I'm up til early morning, so see A. I walk a 20 minute mile in the evening when it is cooler. Yes, I was actually higher then 300 lb. I hit a grand total of 330 lb before Christmas, so I have actually lost 66 lbs.

I see a lot of 'yes there is starvation mode' and 'No, there isn't.' I did a little tweaking to my goals, so that brought my daily calories intake down.

I am so thankful for the weight I have lost. I no longer get short of breath from my bedroom to the kitchen, I can put on socks and tie my shoes. My high blood pressure in way down, almost normal. I no longer take a fluid pill. I found bones :O). My children are not ashamed of me anymore. BIG PLUS: I did not resort back to smoking to lose weight like I always have in the past. SMOKE FREE FOR OVER 2 YRS.

I have 100 lbs. to go yet, but have promised my son that after the next 20 lb. loss, I will take him horseback riding. I figure I won't be 'cruelty to animals' in pink shirt and jeans :O).

I'm aiming for more fish and chicken. HATE Tuna...gak...gag. I have a lot of venison and will eat beef, hate pork. Discovering all the wonderful veggies that are good to eat, that I never tried before, has been awesome. I bake/stream them and boil them. Gonna do some dried one's for snacks.