Weekend temptation!

Options
Does anyone else have an easy time eating clean all week, then struggle once Friday and Saturday arrive?? I made it through this past weekend without going out to eat or eating any fattening meals, but I already have anxiety about this coming weekend. I'm going to make it through, but I know temptation from family and friends will be there!

Replies

• aaappleees
    aaappleees Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is absolutely me!! And over the course of a weekend I can completely undo all of my good habits over the week and actually gain weight just from two days!! Nice to hear I'm not the only one.
  • bdstrang
    bdstrang Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Can so relate! Comforting to know it is not just me but now how to change it? Weekend willpower needed!
  • Fitkam90
    Fitkam90 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    aaappleees wrote: »
    This is absolutely me!! And over the course of a weekend I can completely undo all of my good habits over the week and actually gain weight just from two days!! Nice to hear I'm not the only one.

Yes that is exactly me! I'll bloat a few pounds by Monday and then it takes me until Friday to get back to my low weight, then I mess up all over again! Luckily I just got hit with another bout of motivation last week, so this coming weekend will be my second weekend to Just Say No to junk lol. I'm so close to a weight I haven't seen since I was 18 (that was 9 years ago). I'm letting that be my motivation to stay strong. I'm literally 3 pounds away. 164 is the magic #. Then I'll keep going from there and get to a healthy weight that I haven't seen since I was 15. Man I'm getting old haha. How am I 27?
  • starbird3
    starbird3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oh my this is so me!! I do so well throughout the week. Then the weekend comes and there is alcohol and dinners, and busy days. It's all just excuses I know but I'm hoping to stay motivated and share my goals with those around me. I feel if I tell someone I'm trying to lose weight then I'm less likely to eat completely unhealthy. Let's see if it works! We got this!
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    starbird3 wrote: »
    Oh my this is so me!! I do so well throughout the week. Then the weekend comes and there is alcohol and dinners, and busy days. It's all just excuses I know but I'm hoping to stay motivated and share my goals with those around me. I feel if I tell someone I'm trying to lose weight then I'm less likely to eat completely unhealthy. Let's see if it works! We got this!

Yes! We can knock out those excuses and get through it. It's really nice to have people here to help encourage and keep me accountable. Knowing other people are watching my diary and keeping up with my posts should help. I'm glad I'm not alone! I don't have a good support system.
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    On a Monday I tend to plan my week and within it, i make sure that I have one day where I eat out with a friend or have friends over for a few wines or me and the kids will go bowling and then out to eat. Whatever. You can have a day off if you make sure the rest of your week is good and make sure you get a good exercise burn going on each day. I find having something to look forward to each week keeps me on track.
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    On a Monday I tend to plan my week and within it, i make sure that I have one day where I eat out with a friend or have friends over for a few wines or me and the kids will go bowling and then out to eat. Whatever. You can have a day off if you make sure the rest of your week is good and make sure you get a good exercise burn going on each day. I find having something to look forward to each week keeps me on track.

Yes, you are right. A cheat day or cheat meal helps give me something to look forward to. The trouble for me is, I can't fully enjoy it because I feel guilty, like I'm hindering myself from progressing as quickly as I could if I gave up cheats. I also don't know how to sit down and eat a reaonable portion. I stuff myself until I am sick. It's a lack of patience and self control on my part.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I'm concerned about "fattening meals" and your other post. Fat doesn't make people fat, fyi. It's all calories. Anything in moderation if you want it. Otherwise yes, stress and anxiety about situations exposing you to the taboo food. I've been eating a little under my calorie limit this week so that tonight I can have 2-3 glasses of wine at an event. Saturday I'll probably have some lasagne without weighing it at a dinner party. I have some extra cardio planned this weekend and I will only have 1 serving, so again, not worried. All good things in moderation.
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I work part time on weekends in an emergency room.... they usually order out from somewhere, or someone brings in sweets.... AND with the holidays coming up.. YIKES.... time to exercise WILL POWER
  • luckywizard
    luckywizard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I agree with leggup... fattening is a word I really detest (my mother-in-law uses it all the time).

That said, I feel the same way about weekends... they are a time to relax and in my mind that includes food. However, eating right is about taking care of ourselves and achieving goals. Do goals disappear on the weekend? Nope! I have to remind myself of that every weekend. Here are a couple of things I do to avoid weekend pitfalls.

1. Intermittent fast through the weekend so you can get more of your calories from the fewer meals. Ain't nothing wrong with this. If you are allotted 1700 calories per day, you can get those from lunch and dinner.

2. Alternatively, do something really active in the morning that will make you feel good and potentially offset some off plan indulgences later in the day. For instance, hiking for a few hours (I usually burn over 1000 calories when I hike), or walking 6-7 miles.

3. Drink all the water.

4. Volume eat healthy stuff available before you arrive at indulgence central (my favorite is a salad made of shredded red cabbage and grated carrots... insanely filling).

5. If you're going out, have a bunless burger with double veggies on the side.

Moderation is hard for me at those times. I just can't go and show self-restraint unless I've done one or some of the things I listed above.

If treats are what you crave on the weekend, find some treats that fit within your nutrition plan. I like to splurge on a pint of raspberries and eat them in one sitting (add some whipped cream if you like). My friend has an amazing, easy recipe for raw coconut macaroons made with coconut oil, unsweetened coconut, maple syrup and cocoa. So good.
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    I'm concerned about "fattening meals" and your other post. Fat doesn't make people fat, fyi. It's all calories. Anything in moderation if you want it. Otherwise yes, stress and anxiety about situations exposing you to the taboo food. I've been eating a little under my calorie limit this week so that tonight I can have 2-3 glasses of wine at an event. Saturday I'll probably have some lasagne without weighing it at a dinner party. I have some extra cardio planned this weekend and I will only have 1 serving, so again, not worried. All good things in moderation.

True!
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    RandJ6280 wrote: »
    I hear ya. I work part time on weekends in an emergency room.... they usually order out from somewhere, or someone brings in sweets.... AND with the holidays coming up.. YIKES.... time to exercise WILL POWER

Oh im already dreading the temptation of the Holidays!
  • Fitkam90
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I agree with leggup... fattening is a word I really detest (my mother-in-law uses it all the time).

That said, I feel the same way about weekends... they are a time to relax and in my mind that includes food. However, eating right is about taking care of ourselves and achieving goals. Do goals disappear on the weekend? Nope! I have to remind myself of that every weekend. Here are a couple of things I do to avoid weekend pitfalls.

1. Intermittent fast through the weekend so you can get more of your calories from the fewer meals. Ain't nothing wrong with this. If you are allotted 1700 calories per day, you can get those from lunch and dinner.

2. Alternatively, do something really active in the morning that will make you feel good and potentially offset some off plan indulgences later in the day. For instance, hiking for a few hours (I usually burn over 1000 calories when I hike), or walking 6-7 miles.

3. Drink all the water.

4. Volume eat healthy stuff available before you arrive at indulgence central (my favorite is a salad made of shredded red cabbage and grated carrots... insanely filling).

5. If you're going out, have a bunless burger with double veggies on the side.

Moderation is hard for me at those times. I just can't go and show self-restraint unless I've done one or some of the things I listed above.

If treats are what you crave on the weekend, find some treats that fit within your nutrition plan. I like to splurge on a pint of raspberries and eat them in one sitting (add some whipped cream if you like). My friend has an amazing, easy recipe for raw coconut macaroons made with coconut oil, unsweetened coconut, maple syrup and cocoa. So good.

Thanks for this response! I'm sorry if I offended people by saying "fattening food" I've always been overweight since I was a 8, and "fattening food" is a term I was brought up with and is completely normal around here. Maybe it's different in Texas. I guess fattening food isn't a politically correct term some places. I'll try to word it differently next time! No offense at all intended. Or fattening meals rather.
  • luckywizard
    luckywizard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Haha, it's not offensive, it's just a weird misnomer for caloric overages that is applied to foods. It might be a southern thing-- my mother in law has been in Georgia for twenty years!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly 'clean' during the week but have an individual packet of breakfast biscuits as a bedtime snack. Sometimes I slip in a doughnut. Saturday evening I usually have a meal with my bf which varies from pizza to steak to Chinese followed by cheesecake or something for dessert. I mostly get back on track Sunday. Depends how my weight is doing and if I am maintaining okay.
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    Haha, it's not offensive, it's just a weird misnomer for caloric overages that is applied to foods. It might be a southern thing-- my mother in law has been in Georgia for twenty years!

Haha it's gotta be a southern thing!
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    I eat mostly 'clean' during the week but have an individual packet of breakfast biscuits as a bedtime snack. Sometimes I slip in a doughnut. Saturday evening I usually have a meal with my bf which varies from pizza to steak to Chinese followed by cheesecake or something for dessert. I mostly get back on track Sunday. Depends how my weight is doing and if I am maintaining okay.

It's been ages since I've had a doughnut! Yummm. Mmm I love pizza also haha. It's been a month since I've had some pizza. My favorite Chinese dish is sweet and sour chicken.
  • arson714
    arson714 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I do my best to eat clean during the week. This year, I am trying a different approach to the weekend. Since it's football season and all, I'm allowing myself to have a semi-cheat day during Philly's game. This has worked well so far for a few reasons:

1. It gives me something to look forward to each week. I can REALLY consider what I want to "cheat" with.
    2. On occasion (i.e. last week) I decided not to cheat to keep the clean going. I'll probably go off and on this the whole season.
    3. When I cheat I end up doing some extra cardio (yuck) that day to try and trim some of those unnecessary calories.

I think it's a matter of finding a way to be able to be flexible enough to allow yourself to be able to spend time with family and friends without going off the deep end. I'm not sure if this will help at all, but here it is anyway :D
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    arson714 wrote: »
    I do my best to eat clean during the week. This year, I am trying a different approach to the weekend. Since it's football season and all, I'm allowing myself to have a semi-cheat day during Philly's game. This has worked well so far for a few reasons:

1. It gives me something to look forward to each week. I can REALLY consider what I want to "cheat" with.
    2. On occasion (i.e. last week) I decided not to cheat to keep the clean going. I'll probably go off and on this the whole season.
    3. When I cheat I end up doing some extra cardio (yuck) that day to try and trim some of those unnecessary calories.

I think it's a matter of finding a way to be able to be flexible enough to allow yourself to be able to spend time with family and friends without going off the deep end. I'm not sure if this will help at all, but here it is anyway :D

That's great! It's definitely important to be flexible. I could just walk an extra mile and a half or something
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Fitkam90 wrote: »
    Does anyone else have an easy time eating clean all week, then struggle once Friday and Saturday arrive?? I made it through this past weekend without going out to eat or eating any fattening meals, but I already have anxiety about this coming weekend. I'm going to make it through, but I know temptation from family and friends will be there!

I wouldn't call it a "struggle"...I indulge more on the weekend...it's when we can go out to eat as a family...go for pizza on Saturday afternoon after the boy's soccer and football games...go enjoy quality time with friends and do the things you do when you're socializing with good friends.

Weekends are also the time where we actually have time to go out and be active...I have a long ride every weekend and my wife has a long run and a shorter run...I often do a shorter ride to the gym on Sunday as well...we like to go rock climbing and hiking and stuff like that. Yeah we indulge more...we're also way more active come the weekend and it's part of enjoying this wonderful life...