How many fitness pals meal prep??

Options
If you meal prep do you like it? If you stopped meal prepping, what led you to stop? I've been meal prepping for awhile now. I have a freezer full of meals. What are some of your favorite meals to stock up on?? I need more recipe choices! Hope you all are having a good day/night. Thanks!

Replies

• IamBorg
    IamBorg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I mostly prep pieces of meals rather than entire recipes. Though now that needs to changes somewhat because of work.

Typically I try to always have pork roast, beef roast, chicken, ground beef, and broccoli in the freezer cooked and portioned. So then I can grab a meat and if I don't have fresh veggies I can grab a broccoli and then mix them with potatoes or noodles or pot stickers or in a tortilla or on a salad.
  • Fitkam90
    Fitkam90 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    It is a must for me to meal prep otherwise I buy junk. I love it bc it keeps me on track. Crockpot chicken is quick and can cook in bulk, I marinate it in light brown sugar bourbon and cook it a few hours. Chicken, fish, and veggies are my go tos. And I always carry a protein shake just in case I get hungrt on the go.

I shred chicken in the crockpot every week! I love it because you can make tacos, spaghetti, nachos, chicken salad, bbq sandwiches. I substitute recipes with ground beef with shredded chicken sometimes. I also meal prep extra lean ground beef. I'm bad about getting veggies in. The light brown sugar bourbon sounds delicious. It's essential to have meals on hand so there are no excuses for fast food.
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    IamBorg wrote: »
    I mostly prep pieces of meals rather than entire recipes. Though now that needs to changes somewhat because of work.

Typically I try to always have pork roast, beef roast, chicken, ground beef, and broccoli in the freezer cooked and portioned. So then I can grab a meat and if I don't have fresh veggies I can grab a broccoli and then mix them with potatoes or noodles or pot stickers or in a tortilla or on a salad.

That's very similar to what I do. I basically prepare my meats in bulk and make different meals off of that. Mmm I've never tried cooking a roast before, but I really want to. I just don't want it to be dry and tough since I would be a newbie lol. I also want to try making a meatloaf. I need to get on the veggie bandwagon! I only like squash, zucchini, and okra. I ate so much of it I got tired of it. I at least try to have a green smoothie with spinach and yogurt every day to get something green in my body. I've never tried making pot stickers either. Thanks for the ideas!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I don't really prep that much anymore, mostly meat.. either boiled or roasted chicken breast. Sometimes meatballs. Then I freeze them.
    For veggies I buy frozen spinach, kale, green beans, broccoli which I can add to anything. Also we usually roast or grill a big batch of veggies (zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, peppers etc) at the beginning of the week for lunches.
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I don't really prep that much anymore, mostly meat.. either boiled or roasted chicken breast. Sometimes meatballs. Then I freeze them.
    For veggies I buy frozen spinach, kale, green beans, broccoli which I can add to anything. Also we usually roast or grill a big batch of veggies (zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, peppers etc) at the beginning of the week for lunches.

Gosh, everyone seems to be getting their veggies in except for me! I need to get with it. I've never in my life tried eggplant.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Fitkam90 wrote: »

Gosh, everyone seems to be getting their veggies in except for me! I need to get with it. I've never in my life tried eggplant.

Eggplant can be tricky since it absorbs oil and can get soggy.. so I brush a marinade on it before it goes on the grill and cook it on higher heat. My favourite lately has actually been roasted cauliflower.. a bit of oil (I use olive oil with garlic), salt, pepper.. then when it's close to being done a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Yum yum.. it tastes like popcorn! A great side to any dish.
  • Fitkam90
    Options

Eggplant can be tricky since it absorbs oil and can get soggy.. so I brush a marinade on it before it goes on the grill and cook it on higher heat. My favourite lately has actually been roasted cauliflower.. a bit of oil (I use olive oil with garlic), salt, pepper.. then when it's close to being done a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Yum yum.. it tastes like popcorn! A great side to any dish.

Wow that sounds tasty! I'm gonna have to give both those veggies a try. Thanks :smile:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I prep lunches for the hubster and I for the week. Minimum one meal each, more variety if I can be bothered.

I tried meal prepping for dinner, but I just have this mental block about coming home and reheating food. I'm wired to have to cook, even though I sometimes resent it like hell at the time.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I cooked a huge batch of chickpeas and freekeh with peas and carrots, from dried/frozen ingredients, this weekend, and it's lasting me a long time. I also soak oats overnight if that counts. And I chopped a bunch of broccoli and carrots yesterday that I can throw into dishes and/or freeze if they start wilting before I use them up. I love not having to start from complete scratch and being able to whip up a dinner quickly!
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    I prep lunches for the hubster and I for the week. Minimum one meal each, more variety if I can be bothered.

I tried meal prepping for dinner, but I just have this mental block about coming home and reheating food. I'm wired to have to cook, even though I sometimes resent it like hell at the time.

Lol cooking fresh meals every day for dinner is over rated. That's nice of you to prep stuff for your hubby. I like cooking, but it's definitely easier to already have everything prepared.
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »
    I cooked a huge batch of chickpeas and freekeh with peas and carrots, from dried/frozen ingredients, this weekend, and it's lasting me a long time. I also soak oats overnight if that counts. And I chopped a bunch of broccoli and carrots yesterday that I can throw into dishes and/or freeze if they start wilting before I use them up. I love not having to start from complete scratch and being able to whip up a dinner quickly!

Look at all those healthy foods you listed! All you veggie eaters are inspiring lol. I've never made overnight oats before, but have seen the recipe several different times. I think it's time I give it a try. I like oatmeal, but I have to have some meat and potatoes for breakfast. I'm a meat and potatoes kind of gal.
  • Alatariel75
    Options

Lol cooking fresh meals every day for dinner is over rated. That's nice of you to prep stuff for your hubby. I like cooking, but it's definitely easier to already have everything prepared.

Nice/economical LOL. If I don't make him lunch, he will buy it and that sets us back like... $75 a week.
  • Fitkam90
    edited September 2017
    Options

Nice/economical LOL. If I don't make him lunch, he will buy it and that sets us back like... $75 a week.

LOL! Economical makes way more sense! Yep, it's crazy how buying extra meals and snacks here and there runs up the bill. Luckily I'm still single, so I don't have to worry about cooking for 2. Though it is sad being single sometimes, and I think I'd actually like cooking for a man. Well maybe for the first year lol. Isn't that how long the "honeymoon phase" lasts? Then it's every man for himself.
  • Alatariel75
    Options

LOL! Economical makes way more sense! Yep, it's crazy how buying extra meals and snacks here and there runs up the bill. Luckily I'm still single, so I don't have to worry about cooking for 2. Though it is sad being single sometimes, and I think I'd actually like cooking for a man. Well maybe for the first year lol. Isn't that how long the "honeymoon phase" lasts? Then it's every man for himself.

Heh, the Hubster knows how to make scrambled eggs in the microwave and that's about it, and I am really territorial about my kitchen, so I do all the cooking and generally don't mind. I actually really love to cook, but it's nicer when it's optional, if you hear me.

I need to get over my issues with not cooking fresh every night, it really has no basis in anything, it's just me being a bloody Stepford Wife, nevermind I work long hours etc etc...

• msemiliejean
    msemiliejean Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I LOVE meal prepping. It feels super productive on a Sunday afternoon and really sets me up for success all week.

I typically make portions of my meals. I get bored really easily so I'm constantly on Pinterest looking for mainly plant-based recipes to try. Because it's getting cooler chili and soups are fun to make. But I'm such a salad freak I tend to have a stock pile of roasted veggies or homemade falafel to create a fun nourish bowl! Oh, and energy bites are always good to have too
  • msemiliejean
    msemiliejean Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you want to get more into some cool preparations of vegetables I HIGHLY recommend going on Pinterest and searching "cauliflower wings." They're so bomb
  • Fitkam90
    Options

Heh, the Hubster knows how to make scrambled eggs in the microwave and that's about it, and I am really territorial about my kitchen, so I do all the cooking and generally don't mind. I actually really love to cook, but it's nicer when it's optional, if you hear me.

I need to get over my issues with not cooking fresh every night, it really has no basis in anything, it's just me being a bloody Stepford Wife, nevermind I work long hours etc etc...

Lol you are funny!! I hear you. I use to make scrambled eggs in the microwave when I was a child.
  • dadsafrantic
    dadsafrantic Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i did and didn't and do again. my crock pot is a gas grill. i go to that huge membership place and buy a protein of the week which is stretched over a few weeks. i portion it, marinate it, grill it and cool it. then i vacuum seal a couple of portions together in each sealed bag and freeze it. i keep a rotation of chicken breast, pork, beef and the occasional st louis ribs so i can have variety throughout the week. when one protein starts to run low i buy another bulk pack and do the process again.

i keep a huge bag of super greens salad mix around and usually have some salady thing with the protein from the freezer. also always on hand are little taco truck size corn tortillas. sometimes i prep an assortment of dried beans and rice to add to the fray.

i freeze all the packages in thin layers so i can do something quick when i get home. i find if i try to plan on how i eat the prepped meals it falls apart as i sometimes don't get home until really late or i just grab a protein bar instead.
  • dadsafrantic
    dadsafrantic Posts: 183 Member
    Options

old what's her name and i always cook together. we had the skids in there with us too when they were growing up. now all 3 boys are really good cooks.