Fitness Tracker Recommendations

Hello All,

I purchased a Fitbit Charge HR in February 2016. Since that time I have received two replacements by the company. First time there was a bubble under the face of the watch, second time the entire band fell apart within 6 months. So now my watch is holding a charge for less than 10 hours ( they market it as 5 days of usage before needing another charge).

I called the company but my Fitbit warranty recently expired. I purchased a warranty through Sport Authority ( where I purchased the Fitbit) but they went out of business a few months ago. The rep told me that they can't send me another one ( didn't want one, just wanted answers) and instead sent me a coupon. The coupon was for 25% off, not 50% like the last rep
Offered me ( they gave me the option of a new replacement or a 50% off coupon, so I took the watch).

I have 30 days to use the coupon, but I'm having second thoughts. I've never had to replace an electric device 3 times within a year of purchasing it. Bad enough this was like the most expensive watch I ever purchased,I'm hesitant to even buy another one. Looking at the watch it feels like it cost $3 to make and then there is a severe markup. Overall, I don't want to pay $150-300 for a device of questionable quality only to have it replaced every 3 months.

I thought it was just me, but this forum and other forums are littered with posts about similar issues. It's actually been pulled off the website for sale months ago.

Anyway, I really like the Fitbit community but I don't want to throw hundreds of dollars away. Does anyone know of any fitness trackers that are really great quality and affordable? At this point my only option is to get the Apple Watch.

Thanks in Advance

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited September 2017
    Apple Watch is a good fitness tracker, a great smartwatch (if you also have an iPhone), and very well made.

Garmin products are better fitness/workout trackers, not as good as a smartwatch as the Apple Watch, and very well made. And their battery life is far longer between charges.

Garmin's software for tracking your workouts, activity, health stats, etc. is WORLDS better than Apple's software (I've used both - used an Apple Watch for two years, recently switched to a Garmin 935). There's not even a comparison here - it's the one place Apple really falls flat on their face in the fitness/workout tracking arena, IMO.

So my .02 - if you want a great smartwatch that doubles as a reasonably good fitness/activity tracker, get an Apple Watch. If you want a great activity/fitness tracker that doubles as a reasonably good smartwatch, get a Garmin. The new Vivoactive 3 (coming to stores soon) looks like an excellent device and it's $100 cheaper than an Apple Watch: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/08/garmin-vivoactive-3-everything-you-need-to-know.html
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    I had my Garmin watch on my wrist when I got hit by a car going 35 to 40 mph, the watch came away without a scratch even if I didn't. Years ago I had a Fitbit and it was also replaced a few times under warranty.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Garmin is the only one that reliably tracks swimming, so I use one. Finally broke dorm and got the Fenix5X. Love it for swimming.

I couldn't care less about step tracking. That is just wrist movement. So if you have a job where you are sitting but move your hands a lot it will count steps.
    Onne dearie the 5X has is topographical maps. Great for hiking. It can safely get you back to your start point if you foolishly, or for any other reason, go off the trail.