Tabata training anyone?

Options
I was just wondering how many are doing this type of training? I've started seeing a personal trainer and he introduced this into my workout yesterday along with some serious core training boy did I feel it! During the workout my whole body felt so good tingly and well a bit shaky lol but I felt a bit sick at the end of it. I think it's just the intensity of it? Today I feel amazing except my core and side are sore as anything but that's from these dreaded side planks he's got me doing. My goals aren't actually weight related at the gym, I just don't care enough about it for that to be my main priority So I'm training to do the great north run next year and the weight will just be a side affect of living a healthy and super active life....hopefully

I think more than anything I was just wondering who else is training this way and do you like it?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You're training for the great north run so he's got you doing ab work and a four minute workout on a bike?
  • jamiemommy
    jamiemommy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    no...he's added tabata on top of my other training, but that wasn't my question was it so why bother answering?
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I thought I could help. Never mind.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Tabata is brilliant

Helped me with my running, especailly pace wise
  • onandoff
    onandoff Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I thought of Tabata training for the abs part. Will see after I finish what I do now.
    I would like to hear about people who tried this.
  • jamiemommy
    Options
    sorry if I took your comment wrong, I thought it was just another nasty comment. Didn't mean to offend.

I think it'll help pace wise too and endurance. I'm not a runner yet but that's why this is training I suppose:) He's not just got me an a bike doing it though, he's got me on a treadmill, on a bike, on a rower and on a summit climber lol It's a very intense 16 minutes....When I first saw 4 minutes I thought whaaaat, but I get it now, it rocks lol
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Not doing it currently, but have in the past. If you're doing it correctly, it's bloody awful.
  • thebigcb
    Options
    It really depends what exercises you do

Do tabata BURPEES and you will know all about it

Likewise Lunges, Squats,

I enjoy it, good luck with it
  • jamiemommy
    Options
    oooh it is awful haha I felt like being sick, I read about it when I got home. it's very interesting the science behind it. I think I remember my trainer at some point saying it's like stuffing 45 minutes of cardio into one highly intensive shorter workout....but I think at that point I was trying not to hyperventilate:) There have been studies saying that the oxygen intake alone burns another 150 calories, at rest, for the 12 hours following the workout. That's nice to think about as well
  • thebigcb
    Options
    I use to do it quite a bit

I'd do 12 or 13 exercises, each one for a 8 round tabata set, be shattered come the end of it, but really helped
  • jamiemommy
    Options
    12 or 13! wow! you're amazing my first time was yesterday and I did 4! i was so tried all night just from that!
  • thebigcb
    Options
    You'd be surprised

I'd do them in such a way that you'd target different muscles

So say

Jumping Jack
    Burpess
    Skipping
    Sit ups
    Press ups etc
  • jamiemommy
    Options
    I think are building slowly, start at 4 and do 8 workouts (2 weeks) and then he's changing it, and so forth
  • thebigcb
    Options
    Just keep saying to yourself

You can do ANYTHING for 20 seconds
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Tag
  • thebigcb
    Options
    I lvoe it as a tyoe of training

You can do it at home, without help, just download a timer and off you go.

Turns any exercise into a killer.

Doesn;t see all the popular
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xm3GEDVmbM

My morning killer. But ugh, I don't imagine doing more than two rounds, 10 minutes is more than enough.
  • thebigcb
    Options
    After talking in here yesterday got home and decided to do some Tabata

Did 1) Skipping, 2) Burpees, 3) Jumping Jacks, 4) Lunges, 5) Sit ups, 6) Push Ups, 7) Plank, 8) Thrusters, 9) Dips, 10) Leg raisers, 11) Back Extensions and 12) Mountain Climbers

4 minutes for each exercise, 20second on 10 secodns off, repeat 8 times

I was ready to drop come the end of it
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    You appear to be missing the entire concept of Tabata's experiment.