Fruit...yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good for you. Your gym friends are miss-informed...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    eating fruit with 5g of sugar is better than eating cake with 5g of sugar

In the context of a balanced diet, why?

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Keep the fruit if you want to, lose it if you don't or can't in cases of allergies. I eat at least an apple a day because I love apples, especially this time of year. Nothing better than the first true Honeycrisp apples of fall...
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    You should kick your dumb @$$ gym friend. Natural sugars aren't the same as refined sugars and mango and yogurt and bananas and berries are way healthier than their danish-y counterparts. Mango is the best fruit ever too, I don't even know how anyone resists it.

The body cannot tell the difference between the sugar in a piece of fruit and a spoonful of sugar from the bowl on the table - where do you think the table sugar comes from??? Table sugar is basically dehydrated fruit/veggie juice.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Fruit doesn't make you fat. Overeating does.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Jeez, I have to stay away from sweets and added sugars for health reasons. If I had to give up fruit too, I would cry.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The mango I've gotten in the US has invariably been disappointing.

When I lived in Arizona, I could get fantastic mangos. Since moving to Minnesota, no luck.

Mango in Mn is the worst. The only good mango I've ever had was in Egypt. I miss it.

• cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    eating fruit with 5g of sugar is better than eating cake with 5g of sugar

In the context of a balanced diet, why?

Pretty sure we had this exact conversation in another thread recently. *facepalm*

(I will always vote for cake plus a multivitamin :p )
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    In my swimming days I have enough calories to indulge in fruit. It can be hard to do soon days that I don’t swim but I try to do so.

Unless you are Keto/low carb dieting ( a plan that works wonders for some but not for me personally) or have to limit sugar for health reasons like diabetes- I would not worry.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Unless the extra sugar calories are crowding out protein & fat, or you have a sugar-sensitive condition, don't worry about..if you like fruit, eat it.
  • MysteriousLeigh
    MysteriousLeigh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    IMO, fruit is absolutely fine. Can't eat it myself right now because I'm on low carb but as long as you're fitting it into your cal goals and stuff, it's no problem.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    bkstein40 wrote: »
    I generally have the same opinion on sugar in fruit vs sugar I say a piece of cake. That one is better for you than the other. But I also, measure, weigh and log my fruit into my calorie intake for the day. Since I started my journey on MFP, I think swapping that bag of chips/Cheetos/piece of cake/brownie/cookie for say some strawberries, orange, banana or some sort of fruit for lunch is the reason I have been successful and have lost 45lbs to reach my goal. I have learned no matter what you eat moderation is the key.

There is a minimum amount of fat that we do need to consume to stay healthy - arguably if you are running low on fat intake, then those Cheetos might be the healthy option†. ;P

† caveat: if keeping calories constant (which admittedly isn't usually going to happen in the case of Cheetos/cake/cookies vs fruit).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Whole foods like fruit are the devil and the primary reason for the obesity epidemic...

In all seriousness OP, the only reason it would be "bad" is if it's crowding out other nutrition and/or you're going way overboard on it...too much of anything will result in crowding out other nutrition and that wouldn't be good.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The mango I've gotten in the US has invariably been disappointing.

When I lived in Arizona, I could get fantastic mangos. Since moving to Minnesota, no luck.

Yeah, fair enough. The mangos I've gotten in Chicago are the issue.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    HOKA36 wrote: »
    Not too much, there is quite a bit of sugar in fruit

Too much of anything, by very definition, isn't good. It's not like fruit is a unique case.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    The only way fruit is bad for you is you are allergic if someone drops a jackfruit or durian on your head.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to your gym friends.