Women who need to lose 50+ how many calories do you eat?

Options
Just wondering for women who have to lose over 50 pounds.. how much do you eat per day? I don't do intensive exercise or anything. I'm trying to focus on my food intake first. Everyone seems tonsay 1200 with little exercise or 1400-1600 with exercise. Should I start off with 1200?

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I successfully lost 60 lbs over 6 months with a baseline of 1500. When I exercised, I would eat back about half of my exercise calories.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    Options
    Eating too little will lead to weight loss initially, but is not sustainable.
    Eat the caloric intake advised by MFP..

All the above posts offer sound advice.
    I have 150 pounds to lose.
    With 90 down over two years, and also hypothyroidism, and no exercise, my daily caloric intake is 1350.

You need to eat a healthy and nourishing diet, that leaves you feeling satisfied.
    At the end of the day, the choice is yours.
  • sannklinger
    sannklinger Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have lost 126 pounds in almost a year. I started off not knowing what to do really but I put my current weight at the time and goal weight with trying to lose 1-2 pounds a week. MFP recommended 1220 calories a day and that's what I've stuck to. Portion control is a must. I weighed and measured my food to try to get as close to accurate as I could. I invested in a scale so I could weigh meat to know how many ounces I was eating but I can pretty much eye it know. Good luck to you! Awesome job so far!
  • Julieannelennox
    Options
    I have 80 lbs to loose and have lost 14 lbs 1 month in eating about 1,600 calories/day. I am doing light exercise like walking. Calories add up quick and 1,600 is not a crazy amount.
  • LUV2CARDIO
    LUV2CARDIO Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For me, it depends on my exercise routine. I set myself up for 1700, because I usually lose best when I eat between 1650-1750 per day. Exercise creates my deficit. I'm 5'2 over 200lb - but I don't want to starve to death and be miserable, so I prefer to eat what I want within my limits and burn the rest. As I put on more muscle mass, I'll crank up the calorie intake - because I'll be hungry even on 1700!! BTW - I'm over 50...
  • MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I had 50 to go when I started. I'm halfway through now, though I'm on the super slow plan. MFP gives me around 1500 a day to lose 1lb/week, and then I walk 10k steps a day to get another few hundred calories. I seem to function best at around 1800 a day, ie, I don't get hangry.
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Just wondering for women who have to lose over 50 pounds.. how much do you eat per day? I don't do intensive exercise or anything. I'm trying to focus on my food intake first. Everyone seems tonsay 1200 with little exercise or 1400-1600 with exercise. Should I start off with 1200?

My calories range day to day. I try to fill up on a lot of veges, leafy greens that are low calories. There are some days I sit at 1200ish and others where I go up to 1400. I have a desk job so I put sedentary setting in MFP it gives me 1800 calories with losing .5 pounds a weeks. I have only hit that amount of calories right before my period when chocolate was a main meal for me. I weigh and measure everything. I try to stay away from the starches because I have no will power. I will start slowly bring them back into my diet. I also have a fit bit I wear and depending on my hunger level if I eat back any calories. ( I have loosing right under 2 pounds a week)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Like I said, I am not exercising right now..I live a pretty sedentary life, that's why I'm a little confused on how many calories to consume..I don't want to be eating too much since I'm not exercising right now, if that makes sense.

I'd recommend starting with whatever MFP recommends for 1 pound a week and eating that for a few weeks. If you're losing weight faster than you'd like and/or are unpleasantly hungry, up the calories. If you feel comfortable cutting back some more, go ahead. A lot of this is guesswork until you have at least a few weeks of personal data to look at.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I determine my calorie allowance by determining my TDEE and subtracting 500. I do this using https://tdeecalculator.net/ and update it with each new pound lost. Since my lowest weight so far is 255 and I'm a 66 y.o. 5'4" sedentary female, I am at present eating 1518 calories/day (TDEE-500). When I hit 254, I'll recalculate.

This may seem like a lot of recalculating but it is working for me because I am "sneaking" down the number of calories by 4 or 5 at a time rather than a big drop. When I started, I was heavier, my TDEE was greater and I was eating over 1600 calories/day. I haven't really noticed the drop because it's sneaking up on me.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Like I said, I am not exercising right now..I live a pretty sedentary life, that's why I'm a little confused on how many calories to consume..I don't want to be eating too much since I'm not exercising right now, if that makes sense.

There is no single answer to your question. Your calorie goal depends on factors that you have not provided - your stats. And just because you are not exercising doesn't mean your calorie goal should be super low. The more you weigh, the more you can eat while still losing.

However, MFP will set everything up for you. You've joined the site, so why not start off with using its setup and see how it works for you?

Enter your stats, choose one lb/wk loss. Read the stickies. Reading those will help you understand how to log correctly and why it's important to choose a sensible goal. Start there. Listening to all the advice about alternative ways to choose a calorie goal will just add a bunch of options that you don't need when just starting out. Get a basic handle on things, then start tweaking later if necessary.