Off the wagon

Hey guys so I'm currently struggling with getting back on the wagon. I have lost 25-30 lbs depending on the day. I hit a plateau and then kinda fell off the wagon. I'm not sure what I can do to boost myself back into this. I could really use some motivation, tips, exercise routines. ANYTHING!!! I'm trying to jump start myself again, but I am so exhausted all the time. Please help, I'm finding myself getting into a rut and I see myself going downhill.

Replies

• unigirl143
    unigirl143 Posts: 126 Member
    Are you having problems with snacking,portion size, low energy?
    I got my husband on board with me meal planning and slightly increasing our activity levels. I explain to him even little changes can help in the long run.
  • Zendurable
    Zendurable Posts: 1 Member
    shiroky05 wrote: »
    Hey guys so I'm currently struggling with getting back on the wagon. I have lost 25-30 lbs depending on the day. I hit a plateau and then kinda fell off the wagon. I'm not sure what I can do to boost myself back into this. I could really use some motivation, tips, exercise routines. ANYTHING!!! I'm trying to jump start myself again, but I am so exhausted all the time. Please help, I'm finding myself getting into a rut and I see myself going downhill.

Motivation during a plateau is hard. I've lost right at 70 lb in the last year, and about every 20 or so lb my body would decide that my current nutrition and exercise routine wasn't good enough to progress. It's killer when you're eating properly and exercising regularly and seeing no results. So what did I do? Nothing. I stayed the course and continued on believing that change will happen even when I don't see results for weeks at a time. It takes time for the body to adjust during composition changes, and you really have to just bear through it.

Exercise and weight loss really is an evil mental game you must play with yourself. It's nearly masochistic (but not in an unhealthy way, quite the opposite.) I'll call it 80% mental strength and 20% doing what you know you should do in order to reach your goals. There's no quick fix. No secret formula. No long-term shortcut.

That being said, it's not very 'motivational.' Too much, "suck it up buttercup." When I get low, and the Whopper with bacon looks mighty tempting, or the 20 lb dumbbells are tons heavier than the 15's today, I tell myself this acronym, HIPSR. Honesty. Integrity. Perseverance. Self-control. Respect. Those 5 values have helped me guide myself to finish, or begin, when I wanted to walk away. Use those or pick your own 5, but whatever you do be sure to choose ones that help you define your purpose for continuing. Believing in them and yourself will help you find all the energy you need to shape your reality into not who you want to become, but who you are.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    There's really no such thing as a plateau - if you stop losing weight, you're not eating in a calorie deficit anymore. But you may actually be in a calorie deficit without being able to see a loss on the scales every week, because weight fluctuates from day to day, and maximum weight loss decreases as you lose weight. You may have to tighten up your food logging, and most certainly be more patient. What you don't need, is a "jump start" or giving up and start to EAT ALL THE FOODS because it "isn't working".

Talk about wagons, or horses or tracks, is a common indicator of unsustainable plans.

So what you CAN do, is make a plan you WANT to stick to, one that is not just about securing that essential calorie deficit, but also incorporates food you like, strategies for eating socially, how to deal with boredom and emotions, some exercise you find rewarding, and maybe other things, things that will vary from person to person.