At the gym, do you follow a specific program or do you wing it?

Options
I've been doing 5x5 strong lifts for a few months and recently started to deviate from the plan. I've been adding more exercises, sometimes using machines instead of the free weights, and occasionally swapping out squats for weighted lunges. What do you guys do?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    I do a specific program that I tailored for myself.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have done both... completely winged it and followed a program. However I had much more success when I follow a program. Now, I don't necessarily follow it 100% exactly (since I have some experience and know what works for me and know what I can swap out and adjust rep ranges etc) but for the most part it is wise to follow a program in the beginning especially for most optimal results.
  • myfavoritealpha
    myfavoritealpha Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've recently started a modified 5X5 using machines and free weights in the Plant gym alternating w running every other day. I am following the program I set up, but I also realize from the past that you'll have to switch up (exercises and routine) to keep your body from getting used to it and hitting a plateau.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    A mix of both, sticking to the same exercises but changing up how long/reps of each exercise as my fitness improves. If it doesn't make me sweat, then it's time to up the intensity or length.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Neither option really.

I have my own framework for each workout and the workout week that suits my peculiar needs and restrictions.
    The exercises that fit that framework vary from session to session - sometimes just because some particular equipment is in use when I want it, often I make compromises to dovetail with my cycling, sometimes just for variety, sometimes injury flare ups limit my options.

Primarily compound lifts in a balance of push and pull but I also do a lot of core work to support/manage my damaged back.

I use a mixture of free weights, bodyweight, cable and regular machines.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I liken winging it in the gym to shopping at a grocery store. If I have a specific list of everything I need to get, then I know I've done what I needed to make it through the week.
    If I just went and just walked down the aisles picking up what I thought I needed, many times when I get home I thought, "dang I forgot that" or "I really needed it and it slipped my mind".
    Granted working a body part with any exercise will work it, but lots of people in the gym just lock into that part and put less effort into everything else.
    That's NOT to say you cannot substitute one exercise for another if the equipment or space is taken up for an exercise you may have chosen to do that work out. Switching out lunges for squats because of say the cage or bars being used is fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Depends on why I'm lifting. If I'm trying to progress - to get stronger or bigger - then I'm definitely following a plan. Otherwise, I usually wing it.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I actually chose Greyskull LP for all the variant "plug ins" so I could customize my workouts a bit to my needs, while keeping the main foundation of the compound lifts. I wanted a program that offered flexibility while making sure I hit what I needed to, so I wouldn't forget something along the way.

I am still a beginner so I wanted to rely a program to make sure I didn't get too off track lol.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Specific programme for me, preferably one set by someone else! (Previous ones have included the Body Coach, SL 5x5 and now my trainer.)

I work harder if I have a plan that someone has put together for me.
    I wuss out if I wing it!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I follow a custom program. winging it doesn't work for me mentally or physically.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    A modified program
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I try to mix things up so I am not always doing the same exercises. My trainer does the same for me because I get bored and when I am bored, I start to slack off and make excuses.

I have started creating my own exercise cards - one set for arms, legs, butt, abs, etc. For instance, there are a ton of ways to work your biceps, triceps, etc. Before I go to the gym, I choose a selection of cards to take with me in order of how I plan to work out. If I do an upper body day, I might choose the bicep curl machine, tricep dips on the bench, cable row for back/shoulders, and so on. Basically, I can mix and match according to my mood. As I learn more moves, I create more cards.
  • Zeuggma
    Zeuggma Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    At first, I was winging it just to get to the gym. In the last three weeks, I've decided to follow a plan for beginners, and I find it much easier for me personally. I also see better results.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Winging it is a great way to waste your time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I've been lifting for awhile now...I followed a couple of different programs early on and ultimately found my PT that I have learned a lot from. I don't follow any established program now, but I don't wing it either. I write out my 6-8 week mesocycle that is going to have a variety of different lifts that provide a variety of different stressors to my body...usually run it by my PT to make sure I'm not missing something and he'll help me adjust as necessary.

I'm not in there just doing whatever...it's mapped out and structured and has a purpose...just willy nilly doing whatever isn't going to be particularly efficient regardless of what your goals are.

I did a 3x5 program once upon a time...I found it quite boring so I found a program that was still structured but provided greater variety for movements.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I follow a custom program, but a structured one. I found winging it or substituting things gave inferior results. I wouldn't be able to stick to a 5x5 program and maybe that's your problem too.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I don't follow any programs but I make my own. I am too OCD to wing it.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    program, it's a program modified from SL 5x5, but a program nonetheless. basically just modified to 3x5 so i can add accessory lifts and not spend hours i don't have in the gym. the only time i wing it is when it's packed and i can't access the equipment i need and have to modify further. i like structure and measurable results.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I've been a big fan of Tony Horton and his concept of muscle confusion. I've done P90X / Power 90 a couple of times.

It consists of three phases each working out anywhere from three to six times per week and the routine changes every month.

Due to some physical limitations I can't do certain exercises so I do other stuff that may mimic the routine or I just throw in my own variation