Step counters

Options
Any recommendations for a reliable step counter. I'm not interested in a heart rate monitor feature and don't care about it syncing to MFP. Just a reliable step counter.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Your phone might already have a step counter built into it.

If you really want a dedicated step counter, then just go with an old school pedometer. They're super cheap and readily available.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I use an app called Pacer on my phone, but some phones have step counters too. I have also used a Jawbone bracelet, a Fitbit and an UnderArmor Band. All of them are fairly accurate.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Zip clip on that counts only steps or FB One, also a clip on, that counts steps and floors.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I assume by reliable you mean accurate? There was an NIH study on accuracy here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5214549/

Excerpt: When compared to the actual steps, the Sportline™ brand (−3.83 ± 22.05) was the only pedometer that was significantly similar. The other three brands significantly under-estimated steps (Fitbit™ 55.00 ± 42.58, SmartHealth™ 43.50 ± 49.71, and Omron™ 28.58 ± 33.86), with the Fitbit being the least accurate. These results suggest an inverse relationship between cost and accuracy for the four specific brands tested, and that waist pedometers are more accurate than wrist pedometers.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone!