Nuts and seeds advice

Options
Im wanting to include nuts and seeds in my diet and have read alot about the benefits of nuts and seeds. However with there being soooooo many out there im not sure what i shoyld take and how. Im on a limited budget and eat meat. Ive thought of taking milled stuff like Linwoods Milled Flaxseed Almonds Brazil Nuts Walnuts & Co-Enzyme Q10. Or do i go the route of buying whole nuts and whole seeds. Any clear cut simple advice would be great. Thanks

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I would find a balance between the ones that taste the best for you and the best for your budget. I wouldn't bother with any fancy specialized nut and seed products, I would just try a variety of affordable ones until I found the ones I liked best.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Don't take it in pill form. Just buy whatever nuts you like and add them to salads or eat as a snack. Just watch the calories. If you don't know anything about nuts, start with walnuts or almonds.
  • chrisski34
    chrisski34 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like them all tbh but need a cheap way of having them
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I just eat whole nuts...either almonds or cashews because that's what I like. I have about 1 ounce every afternoon as a snack.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    chrisski34 wrote: »
    I like them all tbh but need a cheap way of having them
    If you want to eat nuts regularly, avoid mixes* and small bags. Half pound bags is better value. Stay away from the snack isle, go to the baking isle. And discover your area's "ethnic" stores. You can get variety by rotating them; start with two or three different types, and then buy another when you've finished one.

Choose the ones you like. I love walnuts, peanuts, pecans, pistachios; I eat cashews, almonds, hazelnuts; brazil nuts tend to be/taste moldy; macadamia nuts are expensive; sesame seeds, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds are great; nobody uses poppy seeds anymore, but they are great on white bread; flaxseeds are probably excellent if you're constipated, but have no culinary value to speak of.

Nut butters and sesame paste is pure heaven. Especially mixed with honey/syrup.

ETA: I said "avoid mixes" because they tend to be more of the cheap nuts and less of the more expensive nuts. But there are always exceptions. Look at the ingredients list and the unit price, and decide what's worth it - for you.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I buy mixed nuts, dried fruit and seeds and add them to Greek yoghurt as a dessert. It works really well. You can get bags of mixed seeds and fruit etc, usually called breakfast mix or somesuch for a reasonable price. Walmart sells a range too, I believe, or at least the Uk version does.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest you try one nut or seed at a time every week just in case you turn out to be allergic. Then at least you will know which one(s) to avoid.

Since you are on a limited budget you may also try from the cheapest to the most expensive.

On the cheaper end of the scale, sunflower seeds and peanuts (not technically a nut). Sunflower seeds uniquely are higher in magnesium.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    87379bd81aca667407069d08ece366c7.jpg
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Peanuts and sunflower seeds are the cheapest!
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Ground flax for me. I grind my own Winco foods bulk section 1.09 per pound.
  • AidenT94
    AidenT94 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love nuts, but I can't keep them around because I tend to binge them... however, I do enjoy peanuts, sunflower seed kernels (hate the ones in the shell), and almonds. If you're in the US (and they haven't changed anything in about 3 years...) Walgreen's sells the individual baggies of nuts/seed/mixes for about a dollar a bag. When I was working there, I'd buy a variety of what I liked, and made my own trail mix to snack on during my shifts. I don't know if their sister company Duane Reade sells anything like that.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I just started eating nuts regularly but it isn't cheap.

Was buying an unsalted mixed whole nut combo of cashews, almonds, pecans and pistachios but it ain't cheap. Over $18 for a 2.5# container at Costco.

May be cheaper to buy each nut separately and mix them myself. Think I'll do that w/almonds, walnuts, pecans and cashews instead. Will price it out when I'm there again.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,721 Member
    Options
    Buy a winter squash, cook & eat the squash, roast & eat the seeds, husk and all. Cheap & delicious.

I like to roast the seeds with some salt and chili powder. If you get the timing right, the seed husks are crispy and easy to chew.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    A few ideas.....
    Sprinkle pistachios on cottage cheese
    Pepitas are great on salads
    Roast butternut squash with pecans
    Walnuts are great with strawberries and feta
    Pine nuts with arugula or basil to make pesto
    I could go on......
  • KristyDonovan
    KristyDonovan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Giant bags of nuts are dirt cheap at Costco! I get tons of nuts- we eat a lot of them and it's very affordable to buy them in bulk
  • Javagal2778
    Javagal2778 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin seeds are reasonably priced at Costco, too.
  • pbbananacoffeechocolate
    Options
    Make sure to include nuts and seeds that are high in omega-3 fatty acids, like walnuts, flaxseeds, hemp seeds, and chia seeds. I like to sprinkle seeds on my salads or oatmeal, or blend them into smoothies.